Snowrace][

For posting your maps.
Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Re: Snowrace][

Post by Azarael » Tue 22 Jun , 2010 5:44 pm

You didn't, but other people have in the past :P

Heh, I think you miss the point. I'm not really trying to make "excellent" maps with edits, I'm trying to make "acceptable" ones. Aesthetically at least.

I'm really doubting whether I want to make a new map though. I feel as though it might be better to go back to modelling and learn how to texture, because both are applicable to all games, not just UT.

Conqueror

Post by Conqueror » Tue 22 Jun , 2010 7:16 pm

I guess so. I'm tempted to learn the basic skills and make a few edits to maps I know, to be honest. Any tutorials you can point me to?

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Tue 22 Jun , 2010 7:23 pm

Back when I learned to map I used many sites, and most of them are now defunct. Angel Mapper can teach you the basics. If you want a really complete reference and guide, use the book Mastering Unreal Techology - I still refer to it on occasion.

I'm not going to make another map. I'll finish Snowrace and then I'm done - I'm not giving up any more of my time for the general population.

KimiRäikkönen

Post by KimiRäikkönen » Sat 17 Jul , 2010 1:21 am

Conqueror wrote:I guess so. I'm tempted to learn the basic skills and make a few edits to maps I know, to be honest. Any tutorials you can point me to?
ye angelmapper thought me alot, and aza gave me the link for it also i think or it was someone else w/e. im still a basic mapper but everytime i make a map i learn something more, when i madelegowars i didnt know how to align textures or use lighting, fluidsurfaces, scriptedtriggers (filthy buggers) or even a skybox.

that 'book' is 2much4kimi2handle, it reminds me of studying rather than spending my spare time :p. i think the best way to learn basic mapping is to start with simple maps like dm or trials. assault maps are complicated but yet fun to make after u learned the basics. you should open an epic map like rankin and just look at the actors, brushes or meshes, change some properties and see what it does, thats the best way of learning imo.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

onrust

Post by onrust » Sat 17 Jul , 2010 12:56 pm

I dl'ed that book, and rofl you really have to have a lot of ambition to finish that. It takes the fun of it.

ô_waffleking_ô

Post by ô_waffleking_ô » Sun 18 Jul , 2010 7:05 pm

Azarael wrote:Oh, I'm going to double post to update the topic, in order to defend myself from certain accusations that I can't do any original work.

Urban Assault:

http://highvoltage.inx-gaming.co.uk/UrbanAssault.rar

Yes, this was a failed project, mainly because the optimisation, UT's scale and a lack of related meshes mean that it's impossible to make a satisfactory city in Unreal without having a modeller and texturer behind you. But as it was my first map in UT2004, I'm really not ashamed of it. Even by itself, it's aesthetically better than many maps and it's never been playtested since I never expected to find a server that accepted new maps.

That and there's like 50% of a map here.

Hate if you want, though - I know some people who rage hard at the daemonically low FPS. It varies from 350 to 60.

Requires HourIndusX_UT2004, cache extract it from TheCanyon or Poseidon...
ADMIN IS DOUBLE POSTING.........:shock:

You should definitely continue, this map has the best environment, background and scenery that i have seen so far... To improve, since its a long drive, summon weapons and ammos after every 10-100m?
Image Image Image

onrust

Post by onrust » Sun 18 Jul , 2010 10:42 pm

onrust wrote:lol waffleking, im really thinking your iq is one from a waffle.
I already said that.

Raven

Post by Raven » Wed 18 Aug , 2010 9:45 pm

Somehow this map is familiar. So at any rate has improved.

Raven

Post by Raven » Sat 21 Aug , 2010 11:28 am

Hi,

may I use the map for my server?

Greeting
RavLau

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Sat 21 Aug , 2010 2:30 pm

All maps we have are free to use.