New PC - problems with UT Install

You need help? It's here!
Satin
Disappeared Administrator

New PC - problems with UT Install

Post by Satin » Sat 05 Apr , 2014 11:08 pm

I just got my new PC and I've put UT back on it, now I used the same Cd & key, then once I'd done that I ran it one time to refresh the registry then I deleted the UT folder & dropped in the complete UT folder from the last PC.

So far so good, except... it doesn't seem to have retained information like: fave servers, or my name or even my settings like gfx etc, could someone advise me what went wrong, I was hoping to really just have it exactly how it was on the old PC. I don't really understand how it got it wrong as it was the entire folder form the old PC.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Re: New PC - problems with UT Install

Post by Azarael » Sat 05 Apr , 2014 11:35 pm

You've done something wrong. The relevant information is contained in User.ini and UT2004.ini.

Satin

Post by Satin » Sun 06 Apr , 2014 10:45 am

Strange indeed, I tried again and its now about 70% right, very odd, I'll attempt to get my old PC running at the same time and just compare/adjust the settings I think.

Another problem that's occurred is I use something called RocketDock a lot, it would seem that developing stopped for it some time ago. I'm not entirely convinced it's 64bit compatible entirely.

I don't suppose anyone know a good dock program that Does work with windows 8.1 64bit?

bOnO
UT2004 Administrator

Post by bOnO » Sun 06 Apr , 2014 2:49 pm

I've quickly searched and I found 2 which look not too bad: ObjectDock (not free I'm afraid...) and Winstep Nexus Dock. As I don't use them, I don't know how good they are, I let you try it out.
Its all about the game, and how you play it
All about control, and if you can take it
All about your debt, and if you can payit
Its all about pain and whos gonna make it...

Satin

Post by Satin » Mon 07 Apr , 2014 10:27 am

Thanks bono, I'm currently using rocketdock (for the bits that work) & object dock for those that don't, all is good :)

Far as the ut2004 install goes.. Well in the end I had to connect the old pc to the TV and manually compare the two settings screens, loads were different, despite physically copying the dir over entirely. Weird. Maybe Win 8 has some kind of filter, or more stuff is kept in the registry than in the .ini

Even stuff presumably kept on the server like ballistic binds etc didn't migrate entirely successfully, but I think I have now got it to within 99% of how it was. it's nice to have a pc boot in 10 seconds! instead of 8 minutes & to have UT load up in like 1.5 secs :)

Maybe Aza can shed some light on the problems with the reinstall, I don't know if the differences from Vista to Win 8 would have caused the issue or not.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Mon 07 Apr , 2014 12:00 pm

UT2004 can have issues with reading config files if it's not run with UAC elevation.

ZioFede

Post by ZioFede » Tue 08 Apr , 2014 7:59 am

Yes, but Vista has UAC too...anyway where did you copy the ut2004 folder? It should be in a location where the user has write permissions, just remember to modify the registry accordingly.

God should have let Paul live and let you die instead, worthless piece of shit. -Mr. H&some about a random actor-

Satin

Post by Satin » Tue 08 Apr , 2014 2:41 pm

I just did a clean install and then once I'd run the game once, I deleted the folder, and placed the old one directly in its place.

I haven't yet managed to remove the UAC prompt in 8 as I had in Vista though, so I do sometimes get 'you must run in administrator' or a UAC prompt.