PD-97 Bloodhound

For discussion of gameplay and weapon balance. This is a discussion forum and post quality is moderated.
iRobot
Junk Administrator

Re: PD-97 Bloodhound

Post by iRobot » Thu 15 May , 2014 6:27 pm

Aberiu wrote:I think it's supposed to save your ass when both of your main weapons run out of ammo.
This is never the case though given you respawn after thaw with full ammo for all weapons and the round timers are generally only a few minutes.

Therefore I can't justify the sidearm being a backup. It'll never be used as one.

CaptainXavious
V.I.P. Member

Post by CaptainXavious » Thu 15 May , 2014 6:46 pm

Aberiu wrote:lol but m8 it's a pistol!

However I agree that currently it is not very useful. If you're a healer in general you will use HMC or CX61 and you will not choose bloodhound because you will need more firepower to defend yourself.
What's a sidearm for in general? I think it's supposed to save your ass when both of your main weapons run out of ammo. Therefore a pistol should deal damage (or heal) immediately.
The idea here is to give you healing options for any slot. It might not be as good as the primaries for healing but it shouldn't have to. You're only giving up a side arm for that. Healing over time has its uses, you can load someone up with darts and they'll have health coming in to help shrug off some damage coming their way. Maybe it could be improved in some aspects, but its not supposed to replace any primaries for healing, just give you more options while allowing you to use any primary.

It shouldn't have to have great offensive power because if you can both heal AND kill with it without much problem, why use any other sidearm? You'll run into defib's problem of sacrificing a little bit of offensive power in a weak weapon slot for healing and so much more because this can do things other sidearms can't. The intended purpose for this is either to work alongside team mates to hit them with poison and maybe taze them so team mates have an easy kill or on your own, poison them and then switch to another weapon to knock down their health while they have damage coming in.

I'm not saying its current state is doing this right, but it doesn't (and shouldn't) have to have serious killing potential on its own.

Also, why do you like D/T mechanics? Queuing up a shit ton of damage is not fun to deal with from the recipient's end unless there was a clear, commonly available counter to it like picking up a health kit. Having to wait out a long, drawn out death with no hope of surviving but to rely on a team mate to keep you healthed up is absolutely terrible. D/T should promote weapon combing to spread out the damage rather than using it as the only means of hurting someone, and barring that, helping to control enemy actions by forcing them to go for a known method of removing it.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Thu 15 May , 2014 7:16 pm

CaptainXavious wrote:The intended purpose for this is either to work alongside team mates to hit them with poison and maybe taze them so team mates have an easy kill or on your own, poison them and then switch to another weapon to knock down their health while they have damage coming in.
This is flawed. Why would I bother poisoning then swapping to something else when I could just use something else with greater damage output?

Do you not see this is the reason utility weapons are not used?

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 15 May , 2014 7:20 pm

The primary purpose of the Bloodhound was not to DoT people.

It was meant to be used for its tracer ability and its altfire which slows struck enemies.

Capaco

Post by Capaco » Thu 15 May , 2014 7:23 pm

i just tried one game using this pistol only, ended 3-11. I see no reason to put it in loadout.
Sure its a another way of a pistol, but when i want to survive and do some damage when my other weps are out, i use every other pistol, with this one u die. And always running away isnt an option ;-)

- healing others i dont get anything back, ( like adrenalin or sth), just dying yourself when u heal others probably
- healing while poisioned as robot said destroys the good damage u did and every hope of a kill

Healing is a complete other topic and story in my opinion, how many ppl do heal with a wep? 1/20 players on server? U get nothing for it, just a good teamplayer, but healing every game..meh ...sad but reality, so i wonder it was focused on healing and killing with the pistol

If the pistol would have only poison shots over time with a balance i dont know, its still a different pistol to others.

Aberiu
V.I.P. Member

Post by Aberiu » Thu 15 May , 2014 7:32 pm

you can both heal AND kill with it without much problem
Right now it's more like you cannot kill and you cannot heal with it. At least I tried, without much success. Healing takes time (mostly consumed by aiming and reloading - surprisingly hitting a friendly target is not an easy task) which I'd rather spend on hunting and shooting people because primary weapons are much more powerful.

Another problem with DoT healing is that you don't know when to stop. You have to know your target's health (the health bar will not help you with this) and you have to know the overall DoT damage to calculate the amount of shots you need. And yeah, since it's DoT, it will not heal you back in freon.

CaptainXavious
V.I.P. Member

Post by CaptainXavious » Thu 15 May , 2014 7:46 pm

Well, a dart would do 35 damage over 8 seconds. This right here isn't bad. Proxy healing does in fact make it a problem, I can't deny that. But I think this is a problem with prox heal, not the gun.

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Fri 16 May , 2014 11:07 am

Ehmm, I like this weapon, could have more shots per mag/clip/reload... but would be nice that the purple gas was blue/red for the mates when healing and purple when makes damage.
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

CaptainXavious
V.I.P. Member

Post by CaptainXavious » Fri 16 May , 2014 11:53 am

Why would a revolver with five shells to a drum have more than five shots?

I wouldn't mind team colored effects either though.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Fri 16 May , 2014 11:59 am

CaptainXavious wrote:Why would a revolver with five shells to a drum have more than five shots?