Decreasing playerbase

Discuss the Ballistic Weapons servers here.
Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Re: Decreasing playerbase

Post by Azarael » Tue 27 May , 2014 10:29 pm

Can't disagree with any of that.

focus

Post by focus » Tue 27 May , 2014 10:38 pm

Also, i want to congratulate you, Azarael, with birthday (although i've missed the exact date, sorry)!. 24 years. I remember time when there was number 21 near your name. 3 years have gone and you are still here. As i understand, with no pay. This volunteer job really deserves admiration. You kinda have strong will.

focus

Post by focus » Tue 27 May , 2014 11:22 pm

Also, i think its a good idea to put a banner on the front page which
will say that anyone who wants to set up a game here, will be welcome.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Tue 27 May , 2014 11:23 pm

I don't think that's how it works.

focus

Post by focus » Wed 28 May , 2014 12:02 am

Its one of the ways, for sure. It dont abolish other ways.
There could be multiple ways in effect.
Banner confirms for wide audience that there is indeed an possibility of creating gameserver. For random visitors of the server. Coz core players are already know everything and read the forum constantly.
Although, of course there could be noise.

Michie
Banned

Post by Michie » Wed 28 May , 2014 12:43 am

Reason being most come here and get there asses kicked by the pros. Forced aim sucked also. But you have to aim now threw iron sights to hit anything cause they how you guys set it up. Not like it use to be. Its either play the way you want or don't play so MANY DONT..... Simple. Its a Pro thing now ....So many I tell or use to tell come and don't come back...Most want to come and play and have fun and don't want to have to use Iron sights . Play the way you want.... Its just to dam hard for some. To much Control by LDG in order to play.. Miss the old days when a weapon aimed where I pointed it without iron sights. But that's to easy for the Pros. So you get what you get.. Just saying as an Avg player. IMO

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Wed 28 May , 2014 12:45 am

PingCompensation was introduced originally as a serveractor. That changed when onslaught was introduced and PingCompensation was set individually for each gametype except onslaught, due to incompatibility with nodes. Interestingly enough, I have never heard anyone say that they hit their targets better in onslaught as the result of no PingCompensation.

Eiforia
Piska

Post by Eiforia » Wed 28 May , 2014 4:57 am

Butcher wrote: Number 2 is always with Calypto, but also common with the admin staff.. Aza, Gizmo, and Earl seem to be always a bit ahead. Could it be the admins are not affected but only the users?
Imo words about Aza, giZmo and Earl are bs. giZmo was always good in this game ( I guess he is training offline :D ). I saw Aza and Earl playing not BW Freon, and they are good there too. So its called skill!

About ping compensation: doesnt look reliable. Even without any names all know that it seems to work only for 1 player on server.
"I shall listen to Roy Orbison - "It's Over" in memory of Hamish" - Azarael

Capaco

Post by Capaco » Wed 28 May , 2014 9:41 am

Im often just too lazy to play or exhausted from work and dont want to play map after map, just spec. U learn a lot from spec, no need to train every day.. but there are many things that i didnt like, but that didnt change my mind to play more or less though.

- forced aim to others, meh let them spam and shot as they want, dont make ppl play as u wish or the game was made to.
- way too much concentration on skill and skill system, the balancer is here, so data arrived and can be in background everywhere.
- If skill system is removed, i think EFR can be removed also, why care about skill if its no where to see anyway? ( yes i think there are some ppl who care) and the argument like " Oh i dont know when i get better or not if i dont see skill"...LOL.. u will feel it during the game i guess
- the map changes, especially osiris i dont like anymore, yes im roof camper, BUT should have been just 2 ways to get on the roof, like on opposite side, or some stairs to get up for weaker players who cant jump on elevator. Some rebuild maps are good, but i still would prefer to choose in voting option about the old and new version for example.
- Like skaldy and butcher say with lag, my game freezes for some seconds during freon only kinda often. Dunno why.

No offense to all players, but i just thought about what would be if all players > 7 skill wouldnt play anymore? would ppl start to play more cause they die less? Perhaps players 4.5 skill and less get thawed automatically faster, like 1.25%/second instead of 1 % /second.

Back to work ;'D'D

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Wed 28 May , 2014 10:07 am

Rather than thawing faster artificially, like 1.25% per or 1.5% etc, what if people with skill <4 simply just were frozen at 50%?

These "weaker" players effectively having 50% more lifespan wouldn't really affect the game, yet it would give them more playtime. I wouldn't be against something like that if people genuinely feel that being frozen makes it boring.