Decreasing playerbase

Discuss the Ballistic Weapons servers here.
Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Re: Decreasing playerbase

Post by Skaldy » Sun 27 Sep , 2015 7:24 pm

Calypto wrote:Expect nothing to be different.
(ok

Apart from my reduced paranoia, and increased awe when you continue to push my face in the dirt. :)

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Sun 27 Sep , 2015 8:02 pm

Skaldy wrote:
Calypto wrote:Expect nothing to be different.
(ok

Apart from my reduced paranoia, and increased awe when you continue to push my face in the dirt. :)
I've reviewed the code of the mutator. Based on the static analysis, it will behave erratically if your ping isn't stable (such as when you get a lag spike). However it mainly depends on the actual impact it makes, which is somthing you can observe from the game.
Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. wrote:Also, I don't like the direction this server is going in. When I started playing, I saw BW as a fast-paced gametype where skill was required to be successful - I remember an excellent game of Downtown where both myself and giZmo got nets of +60 through clever movement and co-ordinated tactics. Now, I can't move for deployed weapons in corners, camping (both snipers and deployed) on single-access roofs ... these old maps may keep the playerbase intact (those who enjoy using and abusing the so-called 'shit' tactics), but it's destroying the server's legacy and I am not enjoying playing.
Many past decisions that were made caused the server to lose skilled players or new players, being idealistic rather than realistic is one of them.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Mon 28 Sep , 2015 1:59 pm

I don't believe any of the actual physical changes have had any effect on the player count, negatively or positively.

I think the game is just aging, more so than previous, and as the community dwindles, you'll just lose some people.

Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Post by Skaldy » Mon 28 Sep , 2015 7:07 pm

Izumo wrote:I've reviewed the code of the mutator. Based on the static analysis, it will behave erratically if your ping isn't stable (such as when you get a lag spike). However it mainly depends on the actual impact it makes, which is somthing you can observe from the game.
That sounds like it will magnify the effects of any existing lag spikes, and my ping does vary a few times every minute. It might even explain the stuttering some of us get when encountering a new player and opening fire. We'll see what happens without it, thanks.

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Wed 30 Sep , 2015 6:51 pm

Skaldy wrote:
Izumo wrote:I've reviewed the code of the mutator. Based on the static analysis, it will behave erratically if your ping isn't stable (such as when you get a lag spike). However it mainly depends on the actual impact it makes, which is somthing you can observe from the game.
That sounds like it will magnify the effects of any existing lag spikes, and my ping does vary a few times every minute. It might even explain the stuttering some of us get when encountering a new player and opening fire. We'll see what happens without it, thanks.
I also appreciate this step, I'll try it and see if there is such a difference. I have the same feeling as Skaldy.

On the other hand, MAU instakilling is very annoying! It ruins the game for both teams (basically for everyone except the one using it) as also the balance. In my opinion it should be removed until its balanced or fixed. Farming its bugged modes is Lame and should be addressed as glitching!
1b) Do not glitch. Play the maps as they are intended to be played. The only exception is Oldztyle and Racing with Megafun Benders, where you can glitch at will.
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Fri 09 Oct , 2015 11:43 pm

Maybe removing the balancer at the start of the game will help matters; after all, players seem to move between teams at ease to 'balance', irrespective of how the game balances them at the start ... you can't get a well-earned 3-0 lead anymore without some numpty (ehihehih) crying 'teams', and some bright spark switching, leading to a 6-3 defeat ten minutes later. No crying then eh ehihehih?

In all seriousness, maybe adding back the skill details could be beneficial. Too many games are being manipulated at the moment in the name of 'balance', without heed to the fact that teams are balanced in the first place.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

ZioFede

Post by ZioFede » Sat 10 Oct , 2015 7:11 am

http://www.wordreference.com/definition/numpty

.=

just in case ...you know, some people are not scottish in here ;'D'D

God should have let Paul live and let you die instead, worthless piece of shit. -Mr. H&some about a random actor-

Greedisgood

Post by Greedisgood » Sat 10 Oct , 2015 10:09 am

Balancer is doing everything right. Prohibition of switching is enough to deal with a few players doing that (isnt it already prohibited?), maybe except for the <6 player bot games where balancer barely bothers shuffling us. I also think seeing the skill is pretty nice, but it was already discussed before and these switches are barely linked to it. Dirty switchers will ignore the numbers just like they ignore the balancer decision based on them.
"Not one has eggs to chance" - Brötchen of Hellfire

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Sat 10 Oct , 2015 10:49 am

The dirty switchers aren't a problem, because we can just kick them. The problem scenario is: teams are arithmatically balanced correctly at the start; one team gets in to a 2-0 or 3-0 lead (which is more often than not hard-fought, but can also happen if the top-ranked players underperform); some numpty complains about teams and the top player switches ... ten minutes later the score is at 6-2 or 6-3, and the underperforming team at the start is having a right jolly. Switching for balance tends to break the game.

Take last night - Osiris 2. Red team had 1 7.xx player and 2 6.xx players; Blue team had 3 6.xx players and an extra man balanced at the start. After 10 minutes, Blue team had a competitive 3-0 lead ... the 7.xx player moans, and one of the 6.xx players switches; Red team are now oversaturated with skill, but also have an extra man. It's no surprise that the rest of the game was completely uncompetitive and Red team won 6-3 in the time taken for the 3-0 lead to appear in the first place.

Visible skill statistics would counter this balancer misnomer - just because a team gets a healthy lead doesn't mean the game isn't balanced.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

Greedisgood

Post by Greedisgood » Sat 10 Oct , 2015 12:04 pm

So why not kick the switching player in that case? After a bunch of warnings, obviously. Let it be known that its not allowed or just disable all the switching.
"Not one has eggs to chance" - Brötchen of Hellfire