Pending deletion of the HMC

Discuss the Ballistic Weapons servers here.
Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Re: Pending deletion of the HMC

Post by Azarael » Tue 17 Jun , 2014 11:03 pm

"+1" isn't an argument and this is not a vote. I've given my reasons. If you can disprove what I've said, do so.

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Tue 17 Jun , 2014 11:24 pm

Azarael wrote:I'm going to declare this one in advance. The HMC is pending deletion from the game for the following reasons:

1) Targeted healing is now better done by Le Big XOXO, which has the capability to lock-on to allies.
Xoxo takes too much time to reload, and there is a limitation in distance... you need to be close enough, with HMC you could stand away of the hot zone, anyway nobody uses Xoxo to heal because it makes more damage to the opponents.. its just better to use your firepower to the opponents.
Azarael wrote: 2) The Tractor and Repulsor beams as they are now are broken concepts. When being pulled by the tractor beam, you're a guaranteed kill because you're rendered unable to aim. When being pushed by the beam, you can't aim and can get stuck in a corner and owned.
sure is a disadvantage for you if you get hit with HMC, but rail gun sk410, ak49 and others that have push also take your aim off.
Azarael wrote:
A forthcoming weapon will have the single-shot ability to pull a player to you (or you to another player).
This sound interesting, maybe make a trial with the HMC as single shot...
Azarael wrote: 3) A healing beam makes much less sense than the XOXO's healing stream.
Same argument as 1, still it just doesn't state why makes more sense?
Azarael wrote: 4) It doesn't fit since all its modes are hip accurate.
of course fixable...
Azarael wrote: 5) The artwork. It's not unique (being an edit of the RX22A) and its assets consume 11MB of the related texture file.
This is the main issue as I understand, re-texture to reduce size then could be an option...?

In any case, is a weapon I would like to keep...
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Tue 17 Jun , 2014 11:26 pm

The HMC also has a charge limitation. Its push is continuous as opposed to the other weapons which push you once and out of your own effective range.

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Tue 17 Jun , 2014 11:42 pm

Continues Push/pull and charge delay are design features, the weapon itself is supposed to do that, it has advantage that will instagib you with the charged shot, but the disadvantage that it needs to be charged... Push/pull can be abused, true, but you may also randomize its aim as with any other weapon (as Viper stream), including a repaired aiming for no hip abuse. HMC is the only weapon that has no range limitation, and healing in long range is a feature that xoxo will not cover.

and texture, well, I just suppose a CYLO firestorm V has a more detailed and complex texture...
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

Rymosrac
Revolver Ocelot

Post by Rymosrac » Wed 18 Jun , 2014 12:03 am

Bloodhound gives a decent amount of healing at range, but it's not scanhit and can be difficult to apply to teammates that are dodging fire.

CaptainXavious
V.I.P. Member

Post by CaptainXavious » Thu 19 Jun , 2014 12:14 pm

Butcher wrote:Continues Push/pull and charge delay are design features, the weapon itself is supposed to do that, it has advantage that will instagib you with the charged shot, but the disadvantage that it needs to be charged... Push/pull can be abused, true, but you may also randomize its aim as with any other weapon (as Viper stream), including a repaired aiming for no hip abuse. HMC is the only weapon that has no range limitation, and healing in long range is a feature that xoxo will not cover.

and texture, well, I just suppose a CYLO firestorm V has a more detailed and complex texture...
Please tell me why having a limit to healing range is bad. You are not exposing yourself to danger while negating damage on your team mate, this does not promote fun gameplay for the players going against you. Plus you're underestimating the range of XOXO anyways.

A continuous push/pull is frustrating to go against and prevents the target from even having a chance to respond to the threat, essentially preventing the player from playing. Having the beam sway would make it swing from being incredibly useless to being as broken as it currently is based on range + usage of sights.

Charged shot was always at odds with the weapon itself, a support weapon that has a sniper style primary, it didn't make sense and did not synergize in any way with alt.

CYLO Firestorm replaced existing assets and does not use 3 alpha textures on pre-existing assets.

Aberiu
V.I.P. Member

Post by Aberiu » Thu 19 Jun , 2014 2:42 pm

I'd like to point out one little thing: XOXO is not a serious weapon and while I personally laughed my ass off when I first saw it, I'm afraid some people might refuse to use it just because of it's looks.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Thu 19 Jun , 2014 2:50 pm

Homophobia D=

pupimassa

Post by pupimassa » Thu 19 Jun , 2014 3:21 pm

I think u all act like there was half of the people on the server just running with hmc and pushing other players. Srsly, hmc is quite rare and being used by few people.
Other thing is you are completely exposed to other enemies while pushing someone and you can react very badly before they kill you. That means even if the victim of the beam cant oppose well, his teammates will eliminate "pusher" quite easy. Therefore even someone is using hmc, he will use the pulse/healing more often than push/pull.
Come on, we arent playing 1v1 competitive stuff here.

Ollievrthecool

Post by Ollievrthecool » Thu 19 Jun , 2014 3:51 pm

pupimassa wrote:I think u all act like there was half of the people on the server just running with hmc and pushing other players. Srsly, hmc is quite rare and being used by few people.
Other thing is you are completely exposed to other enemies while pushing someone and you can react very badly before they kill you. That means even if the victim of the beam cant oppose well, his teammates will eliminate "pusher" quite easy. Therefore even someone is using hmc, he will use the pulse/healing more often than push/pull.
Come on, we arent playing 1v1 competitive stuff here.
Im affraid we are playing 1on1 games aatm because no one on the server plays as a team. Players just run and shoot. Eg, nesme and wushi. Play these days and you will see the change. Its just RDM at the moment.