Quixel dDo

Discuss matters related to LDG or UT2004 which aren't specific to any server.
Aberiu
V.I.P. Member

Quixel dDo

Post by Aberiu » Tue 10 Jun , 2014 10:18 am

This thread is for Azarael and Xavious maybe.

Not sure if you know about this awesome time-saver which is basically a Photoshop plugin, but I tried it last weekend and wanted to share my thoughts with you.
First of all, here's a huge tutorial video which explains how does it work and what it is for:
http://youtu.be/hncqbwkGbM4
It was designed to speed up the texturing workflow for the modern game engines with PBR.
I tried it first on my UE4 Pulse Gun model and it turned out pretty good.

However, I was curious if it can be used for creating old-school models for UT2004 without normal maps and todays fancy shaders.
I took Azarael's CX61 model this morning (I hope you won't get mad at me!) baked object-space normal map, ambient occlusion and created some kind of a placeholder for the tangent-space normal map (I loaded UV borders map in Photoshop, added some gaussian blur and converted this to normal map with nVidia PS plugin).
After that I launched dDo, loaded these maps and a painted metal material preset which I created earlier for my Pulse Gun, and this is what I got from scratch in 15 minutes:

Then I loaded the model in Max, applied a material with this new normal map from dDo and baked specularity mask for UT2004 (I've already explained this workflow in the BW changelog discussion thread, it's pretty simple).
I combined it with the dDo specular map, moved it to the alpha channel of the dDo diffuse map and exported the resulting file to UEd.
Here are the UEd viewport screenshots with Rocket's cubemap applied:

Image Image Image

If I spent more time and made a material ID map for dDo with metal and plastic parts separated, this would probably look better. However, I think that dDo proves to be quite useful even for a 10-years old engine.

I uploaded the source files here in case you want to take a closer look at this stuff:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ytt51aomayetti8/cx61.rar

The most awesome thing about dDo is that the legacy version of it is currently free, you can get it on the Quixel site: http://dev.quixel.se/ddo

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Re: Quixel dDo

Post by Azarael » Tue 10 Jun , 2014 12:06 pm

Will take a look at this, thanks.

Aberiu
V.I.P. Member

Post by Aberiu » Tue 10 Jun , 2014 12:22 pm

Just tried to separate the materials to gun metal and painted metal with color range selection and got this

Looks cool I think. Though a bit overused.

Ollievrthecool

Post by Ollievrthecool » Tue 10 Jun , 2014 12:26 pm

Aberiu wrote:Just tried to separate the materials to gun metal and painted metal with color range selection and got this

Looks cool I think. Though a bit overused.
Could this leed to multiple camo's for all the weapons on the server, like 3 camos per weapon? it would be cool if you could choose your texture for your weapon in the Loadout and I would use that texture in the picture above. like a little drop box with names of camos inside

Ollievrthecool

Post by Ollievrthecool » Tue 10 Jun , 2014 12:42 pm

Just a little example from a previous bonus pack:

IMO, it isn't the best camo there is (the one in the picture I just posted) but with your expertise in texturing, you could make really good camos that we could use in game :)

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Tue 10 Jun , 2014 12:51 pm

Dat texture.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Tue 10 Jun , 2014 1:04 pm

100000 hours in mspaint

Aberiu
V.I.P. Member

Post by Aberiu » Tue 10 Jun , 2014 1:09 pm

I'm not showing off my texturing skills here. The point is, it was made in less than a hour with a great tool which is easy to master and on top of that is free. If I had to create this texture the way I did it before, I'd spend around 10 hours on it.

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Tue 10 Jun , 2014 1:12 pm

Aberiu wrote:I'm not showing off my texturing skills here. The point is, it was made in less than a hour with a great tool which is easy to master and on top of that is free. If I had to create this texture the way I did it before, I'd spend around 10 hours on it.
Oh, that was on Ollievrthecool.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Tue 10 Jun , 2014 4:10 pm

The CX61's texture was one of the earliest I ever did, so I figure it might be an idea to retexture it entirely as some practice.