Quixel dDo

Discuss matters related to LDG or UT2004 which aren't specific to any server.
Aberiu
V.I.P. Member

Re: Quixel dDo

Post by Aberiu » Thu 19 Jun , 2014 3:04 pm

I found a nice fire shader and decided to finish the texture. It didn't take much time anyway.

If anybody is willing to play with this stuff a bit I uploaded the texture package here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/th253im9eup98sz/cx61b_tex.rar
It's only 7MB huge.

Ollievrthecool

Post by Ollievrthecool » Thu 19 Jun , 2014 3:06 pm

Aberiu wrote:I found a nice fire shader and decided to finish the texture. It didn't take much time anyway.

If anybody is willing to play with this stuff a bit I uploaded the texture package here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/th253im9eup98sz/cx61b_tex.rar
It's only 7MB huge.
Wow that's really nice

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Wed 02 Jul , 2014 2:43 pm

First-person syndrome is kicking my ass again.

This is what I'm testing with:
http://ut2004.ldg-gaming.eu/azarael/screen04.png

This is what it looks like in 3rd ( already a massive drop in quality, but I guess it's to be expected with old technology: )
http://ut2004.ldg-gaming.eu/azarael/cx61_tp.png
and 1st:
http://ut2004.ldg-gaming.eu/azarael/cx61_fp.png

I can't seem to avoid weapons looking like shit when viewed from any kind of tangential position. The white spots which are apparent on the area close to the handle are jarring. It only really seems to be a problem with first-person weapons - this kind of awkward side-on view doesn't occur very often with other assets.

Oh and in case anyone is wondering, the barrel lengths differ between the first/third and second screenshots. I didn't import the elongated barrel version for the 3rd person model.

Aberiu
V.I.P. Member

Post by Aberiu » Wed 02 Jul , 2014 3:41 pm

What did you use the subdivided version for? Previewing the mesh in marmoset or baking normals?

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Wed 02 Jul , 2014 3:47 pm

The version in Marmoset is subdiv 1. Baked normals from subdiv 4.

Aberiu
V.I.P. Member

Post by Aberiu » Wed 02 Jul , 2014 3:55 pm

Honestly it's hard to tell from the screenshots what exactly is wrong here, especially because you didn't say anything except that it looks like shit.

To me it lacks proper edge texturing which might be happening because you baked stuff in a wrong way or simply didn't apply corresponding details in dDo. The light blue part on top of the weapon seems to be untextured, the red buttons (or lights?) look unnatural. And I'd also go for a bit more vivid colors.

But this is what I think of course, I don't know what do you want.
If you upload both hipoly and lowpoly meshes and your maps with layers I can look into them and maybe give you some advice.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Wed 02 Jul , 2014 3:56 pm

The light blue and red parts are untextured, this is only a partial test. What I mean is when it comes to trying to simulate the roughness on the weapon. It translates well face-on, but doesn't look right to me from the side.

The ingame version is still edgesplit, because the alternative provides even worse results without adding additional faces / bevelling edges.

Aberiu
V.I.P. Member

Post by Aberiu » Wed 02 Jul , 2014 4:06 pm

The roughness of the material in UEd depends on the normal map bumpiness and how you're baking your specularity map (unless you're talking about a roughness/glossiness map which is a whole different thing).
Also, there's a reason why dDo uses normal maps and the reason is - because they translate the details from the hipoly mesh making them useable in photoshop as a basis for creating scratches on edges, dirt in cavities and stuff like that.
If you're baking a normal map from a highpoly mesh to a lowpoly mesh I suggest you to work with a lowpoly mesh in dDo.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Wed 02 Jul , 2014 4:27 pm

The only thing I really did was crease the convex edges to round them off and avoid having them razor-sharp. Does it still matter?

And yes, I'm aware there's no support for gloss in UE2, which is sad.

Aberiu
V.I.P. Member

Post by Aberiu » Wed 02 Jul , 2014 4:32 pm

Of course it does. You had a hard edge there before and now you have a smooth surface. The point of the tangent space normal map is difference.
Can you tell me exactly how did you bake a normal map?
I'm aware there's no support for gloss in UE2, which is sad.
It can be simulated by assigning different cubemaps where a simple cubemap with a soft round highlight will represent a rough surface whereas a detailed HDRI-like cubemap will represent a glossy surface.