I wasn't being nazist

If you feel a ban has been made in error, appeal it here.
Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Re: I wasn't being nazist

Post by Azarael » Sat 28 Jun , 2014 1:04 pm

It isn't true. I googled it the first time this happened and Xalez confirms. It's a type of chocolate bar.

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.
Disappeared Administrator

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Sat 28 Jun , 2014 1:06 pm

I disagree. To call someone a Nazi is no different to calling someone a 'little Hitler', and the last person to do this is now permabanned. In this case instead of preaching these ideologies yourself you're bestowing upon another this title, and the attributes that come with this, regardless of the context in which it is said.
Comparing staff or the rules to Nazis - 30 days.
I understand the authority side of the argument, but I would like to see all players included.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

Oska
The wise man

Post by Oska » Sat 28 Jun , 2014 1:09 pm

Azarael wrote:
Rules wrote:Nazism - permanent.
Comparing staff or the rules to Nazis - 30 days.
Nothing in there says you can't call a regular player a Nazi.
So one can't call a staff member a Nazi but nobody gives a sh*t if it's a regular player? That's pretty fair.

Shouldn't the rules in cases of Nazism or racisms be the same for every single player?
anyway, did someone put their salami into your mama's underwear or something? - team-spec*Azarael

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Sat 28 Jun , 2014 1:14 pm

I should note that in the case of Archer (the little Hitler bannee), all of the phrases were directed at staff. I'd also suggest that there is a difference between direct Hitler comparisons and general Nazi accusations. I'm pretty sure there are Nazis who have never killed anyone.

The reason the rule is against comparing the staff or the rules to Nazis is because it's highly offensive to suggest that the attempts of volunteers to better the server are somehow comparable to the actions of the Nazi regime. Regular players don't have this problem. The only time you'll see Nazi thrown against a regular player is in the set phrase "grammar Nazi" or when trying to make a cheap shot against German players.

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.
Disappeared Administrator

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Sat 28 Jun , 2014 1:38 pm

Azarael wrote: The reason the rule is against comparing the staff or the rules to Nazis is because it's highly offensive to suggest that the attempts of volunteers to better the server are somehow comparable to the actions of the Nazi regime. Regular players don't have this problem. The only time you'll see Nazi thrown against a regular player is in the set phrase "grammar Nazi" or when trying to make a cheap shot against German players.
I would consider calling anyone a Nazi an offence, and I would still like the rule changed.

Changed the ban to 7 days for Racism.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

Oska
The wise man

Post by Oska » Sat 28 Jun , 2014 2:22 pm

Calling anyone a Nazi implies that this person agrees with the idea of Nazism:

Usually characterised as a form of fascism that incorporates scientific racism and antisemitism.

The problem here is not "did the 17 millions of German who voted for the Nazis kill someone" but "Nazi refers to Nazism which refers to racism, antisemitism leading to the Holocaust". And that is unacceptable, for a staff member or any player.
Last edited by Oska on Sat 28 Jun , 2014 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anyway, did someone put their salami into your mama's underwear or something? - team-spec*Azarael

Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Post by Skaldy » Sat 28 Jun , 2014 2:24 pm

This all comes down to intent, but implied or inferred offence can never be proved absolutely. So I agree that you might as well have a simple ban for specific words (and any variations) across all players' chat & names.

And if that means ppl can't say "grammar nazi" or pretend "it's just a chocolate bar" then that's just tough.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Sat 28 Jun , 2014 2:40 pm

Sentinel is a nazi. I think we should 30 day ban.

nome

Post by nome » Sat 28 Jun , 2014 5:56 pm

Some justice has been served here thanks to Azarael's logic. As for Nogger, I don't believe he choose that username out of his overwhelming love of noggers. Not saying he should be banned, just that me calling him out on it wasn't such a horrible thing to do.

proof
Banned

Post by proof » Sat 28 Jun , 2014 6:57 pm

Putting the staff over the players is some nice ideology, isnt it Aza? ;)
Art in a frame is like an eagle in a birdcage.