Can I make an Invasion map?

For posting your maps.
Donnie
Forever Alonnie

Re: Can I make an Invasion map?

Post by Donnie » Mon 01 Sep , 2014 9:12 pm

One question, how do we get there without trans?
Attachments
Shot01325.png
Shot01325.png (915.1 KiB) Viewed 2073 times

Satin
Disappeared Administrator

Post by Satin » Mon 01 Sep , 2014 9:13 pm

There's a side room & lift that lets you up

Aberiu
V.I.P. Member

Post by Aberiu » Mon 01 Sep , 2014 10:39 pm

Donnie wrote:One question, how do we get there without trans?
This is how it was supposed to work:
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/ ... 7tl5z5.jpg

Currently you can get there even with trans, but it wasn't intended. Though maybe it was a bad idea and I should leave it as is.
Another thing that bugs me is that quad jump in BW seems to be slightly lower than in stock game, so you will have hard time getting to the roof without trans as well. It's still possible but involves some precise wall-dodging.
Since the room with lockers can be accessed by monsters, this is bad, because players need some way out of the trap if the defense is broken and monsters are in.

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Tue 02 Sep , 2014 2:30 am

I've completely reworked the lighting, here's a link to the results. It was hard to do the lighting as those textures didn't accept the light as normal ones would. Coronas were added to all lights except in the decorational rooms because the window glass blocked them. The sunset lighting didn't work out due to the skybox's setting.

https://www.mediafire.com/?6lk672yz21ro7fn

Here's something I came across...

Aberiu
V.I.P. Member

Post by Aberiu » Tue 02 Sep , 2014 3:22 am

Just checked your map. Overall it looks more like the original version which I tried to avoid - the main hall was lit with sunlight, now it's too dark to my taste. It just doesn't fit the skybox.
The sunlight actor did work by the way. The problem with it was that due to the lack of indirect illumination in UE2 the walls blocked from sunlight were completely black, so I had to add some regular lights to fix this.

I like how certain areas are lit in the smaller rooms, I like the coronas on the floodlights, but overall you've gone a bit too far with colors. The dark blue ceiling in this one looks really odd:

Although the cubemaps do suppress some lighting, if you turn on the lighting preview you will see that in this particular case some areas look weird without any textures. This is how the hall was lit in my map:

This is how it's lit in your map:

A totally different concept. Also, I believe that lighting was more logical before, when the wall exposed to sunlight was brighter then the one on the opposite side.

However I'm totally ok with it if you continue reworking the map and maybe make your own version of it.

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Tue 02 Sep , 2014 3:41 am

I see. I'm not sure what happened with the blue ceiling on that one, looks like an editor bug. There were no blue lights in that room.

Edit: the yellowish lights were the problem. Yes, yellow.

proof
Banned

Post by proof » Tue 02 Sep , 2014 10:50 am

Since the map isnt very big so far, I felt like giving the lighting a try as well.

1) Dont use the standard white lights. White light doesnt exist in this world and looks super boring too.
2) You had a light map value of 32 on all of your surfaces and since the ones in the hall are very large you didnt get any proper shadows from the sunlight.
3) In the build options use RGB8 as Format and check the "Dither?", then rebuild. This will make your lighting look much better.
4) Back to the main Hall. The brushes are so damn large that your shadows look very bad even with a light map value of 1 (Screenshot: http://abload.de/img/lighttrsyi.jpg ) Use multiple smaller brushes instead. Ive redone the brushwork of your main hall (which was quite chaotic cause of those cylinders and adds) and now the shadows look much better (Screenshot: http://abload.de/img/light2c2saj.jpg ). However, I used Light map 8 in the file at the bottom of this post.
5) I saw you already added 3 Anti-portals but I dont see the reason behind it. Your map doesnt need any Anti-portals, besides Anti-portals are always added when your map is completly done. Also make sure that the Anti-portals always reach into "empty space" by at least 1 Unit, otherwise the engine doesnt know to which zone the Anti-portal goes the result being it doesnt work at all (not always though). Anyway, just leave them out for now, you really dont need any.

Anyway, here is my result:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/bpws8 ... _proof.zip

Its up to you if you use it or not, just giving a few tips. If you have any questions, feel free to ask ;)

//edit: accidentally deleted two coronas at the lift.
Art in a frame is like an eagle in a birdcage.

Aberiu
V.I.P. Member

Post by Aberiu » Tue 02 Sep , 2014 3:14 pm

proof wrote:2) You had a light map value of 32 on all of your surfaces and since the ones in the hall are very large you didnt get any proper shadows from the sunlight. 3) In the build options use RGB8 as Format and check the "Dither?", then rebuild. This will make your lighting look much better.
Was wondering how to do this, thanks.
proof wrote:5) I saw you already added 3 Anti-portals but I dont see the reason behind it. Your map doesnt need any Anti-portals, besides Anti-portals are always added when your map is completly done. Also make sure that the Anti-portals always reach into "empty space" by at least 1 Unit, otherwise the engine doesnt know to which zone the Anti-portal goes the result being it doesnt work at all (not always though). Anyway, just leave them out for now, you really dont need any.
That's arguable, I think. The huge long one under the windows obscures the outer static meshes most of the time so it's quite useful, I wouldn't remove it. The smaller ones inside the bulge and the roof were supposed to help those having trouble with crowds of monsters. Sometimes in Invasion performance drops down extremely. But even without any monsters, when you're standing behind the bulge (whichever side doesn't matter) your fps is higher than when you're standing on it.

I'll try your map later, but thanks for your effort anyway.

Upd. Yeah, the lighting is really nice now. I'll make it less warm, more like DM-Elegance maybe. Most part of the light was supposed to come from the windows, not the floodlights.
I think the brushwork was less chaotic before :) But I'll split the brushes for lightmap, just some other way. Thanks for the tip!

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Tue 02 Sep , 2014 4:36 pm

Antiportals occlude static meshes, BSP and terrain chunks, but DO NOT occlude other players or their projectiles. If you plan on having a lot of players in a map that uses antiportals, create a slightly smaller semisolid/unlit/invisible BSP brush and put it inside of the antiportal. This will occlude any network relevant actors and will help optimize online play with many players.

Src: http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Map_Optimization

So any portals placed solely to have an effect on monsters are doing nothing.

Aberiu
V.I.P. Member

Post by Aberiu » Tue 02 Sep , 2014 4:45 pm

I see. That's weird, because after adding them I launched the map in rmode 1 and added a bot to see what happents, his mesh was occluded when he was behind the antiportal.