OLDZ week instead of just a weekend

Discuss the Race / Assault server here.

Do you want an OLDZ week of some kind?

Yes, I support both OLDZ Race and OLDZ AS maps.
43%
Yes, I support OLDZ AS maps only.
11%
Yes, I support OLDZ Race maps only.
No votes
No, I don't want an OLDZ week.
37%
I don't care, but I still want to vote.
9%

Total votes: 35

Tehnix

Re: OLDZ week instead of just a weekend

Post by Tehnix » Tue 05 Aug , 2014 6:32 pm

I voted 'yes' for exactly 3 reasons:

1) AS-GrandCanyon. map brings back so much memories, its a huge piece of nostalgia
2) AS-Poseidon. the map is awesome the way it is, alot of fun.
3) AS-Castle. Also a huge piece of nostalgia, since its one of the first insane matches I used to play 10 years ago, a match that lasted about 27 hours with a constant 20 players.

edit: forgot BritishBulldog. Boosting your team to score a goal is awesome, ut99 style.
Last edited by Tehnix on Tue 05 Aug , 2014 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ollievrthecool

Post by Ollievrthecool » Tue 05 Aug , 2014 6:34 pm

I only voted yes due to one reason:
There was no "don't mind" option but like I said, I don't really mind, I just play for the fun of it

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Tue 05 Aug , 2014 6:46 pm

Good. Votes made on the basis of OLDZ AS and OLDZ RACE should be tracked separately, with an option for both. Players who have no opinion should not vote, Ollie.

Donnie
Forever Alonnie

Post by Donnie » Tue 05 Aug , 2014 6:51 pm

proof wrote: I created this thread in the first place because:
- This months oldz weekend Ive played two maps I havent played before at all wondering how many more are out there.
- They were challenging and not just "a matter of time" like all maps in the current RACE list are.
- OLDZ AS maps are also fun for one week.
- Many maps in the OLDZ list dont exist (modified) in neither the AS nor the RACE list so you can only play them for 2 days a month.
- I am no longer obliged to obey the rules and can follow my god given desire to glitch/spawnkill/etc
- Nostalgia! It reminds me of the good old days on the UTzone Race server without any gameplay related rules and an endless list of good (imo) maps to choose from.
This. All of this.

darkelf
Disappeared Administrator

Post by darkelf » Wed 06 Aug , 2014 5:31 am

I choose yes. But I would much prefer olds assault to be extended just 1 day extra while megafun race ends at the end of sunday.

My reasons:
-Oldz map list is the only thing on olds weekend that is different from normal operations. I see megafun modification as a server admin troll.
-It brings some old unknown maps to the table and gives us mappers and map enthusiast something to discuss about and possibly increase our normal as map list. It also gives us the rare opportunity to see maps played with high player count and to see if the maps are easy to fix/balance or worth fixing.
-The megafun maplist draws attention just by its name and most of the matches of megafun race map take every bit of the 20 mins or more (depending on map). Which reduces that amount of time olds maps can be played in the limited 48 hours. Sure the ratio of votes between the two might be a bit even to the eye. It still is very frustrating to even have megafun mutator on "Oldz Weekend".
-Oldz maps bring nostalgia and can be enjoyable. I want more of it!
Modified Skins links: Yoda team colors viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2134&p=19097#p19097 Man assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1468&p=10763#p10763 Women Assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1999&p=16615&hilit=skin#p16615
> WebAdmin [dark_elfy]: who is this pepsiman.. he seems really talkative and pissed off
> Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.: i told him i liked coca cola

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Wed 06 Aug , 2014 11:01 am

There are a lot of oldz maps that are gameplay friendly, not every one of them is catracetrack or fasterthandeath quality.

It's enjoyable to play these.

For example, LegoRacers. While the map is very basic, it was enjoyable because it was a breath of fresh air rather than the staleness of hellbenderrace or scorpionrace redux v25

You also miss out on a lot of good race maps that are designed with attack/defense in mind (and balanced fairly well), since the RACE gametype does not support defense.

Tehnix

Post by Tehnix » Fri 08 Aug , 2014 9:53 am

how about some OLDZ-AS this weekend, without megafun?

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.
Disappeared Administrator

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Fri 08 Aug , 2014 1:00 pm

Azarael wrote:Votes made on the basis of OLDZ AS and OLDZ RACE should be tracked separately, with an option for both
I would definitely be in favour of this - it would be nice for new players to be able to distinguish between these maps, and I have a few 'good' (or at least playable) OLDZ RACE maps in mind.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Fri 08 Aug , 2014 1:17 pm

Could we have a trial instead of a poll (which for all intents and purposes, is worthless)?

Leave OLDZ up for a week, without Megafun, without shitty troll maps like CatRaceTrack, and track the gametype spread. Judge reception.

Maybe wait till next month for this trial, whatever is preferred.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Fri 08 Aug , 2014 2:07 pm

We don't have stats access at the moment because certain server features are broken.

If nobody objects, I'd like to remake the poll with the option spread previously noted:

OLDZ - All (counts as both of the below)
OLDZ - AS maps
OLDZ - Race maps
Keep it as it is
No opinion

Also, if this were to become more regular, I'd like to request that weapon balance cease to be disabled. There is no justification in disabling a feature nobody complains about and it's why I don't play any of the OLDZ AS maps.