Suggestions for improving LDG

Discuss matters related to LDG or UT2004 which aren't specific to any server.
focus

Suggestions for improving LDG

Post by focus » Tue 09 Sep , 2014 5:30 pm

Here i want to share my suggestions about how to improve state of things on the server.

1st. Over time, a community formed on the server. I believe, that it definitely would be interesting
to have some means for communication besides the forum and in-game chats. We already have an facebook group,
but its not particularly popular. Then what about having an IRC channel? It would be possible to talk
with each other in online mode, without the game being launched. For example, it would allow to
negotiate about a game match outside the game. So, one could launch IRC client and check it from time
to time, if someone else wants to play. There are IRC clients present for every platform imaginable,
so everyone will be able to participate, whatever hardware one uses.
We definitely have 100+ ppl userbase, so, i dont think that the chat would be empty.

2nd. I think, with situation with popularity of servers, we gotta consider one aspect. How people
do join servers? I believe, for a player, decision to join or not to join the server depends on
presence of other players on it. So, that means, even if there are, say, 10 persons who
wish to play, they still would stay offline, if the server is empty. So, if we could have some means for
letting each other know about intentions, overall situation could be improved. One way to do it - the
IRC chat.
Other idea is to create some way for posting play-ready status on some public place. With means for communication.
It could be an specially designed small application, or some kind of web page, or whatever. Personally,
i could spend some time on creating such application, if it would be necessary.

PS
Also i have an idea that its possible to link in-game chats on all servers, team-speak chat and IRC chat into one continuous space without borders. That is a really promising thing, IMO.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Re: Suggestions for improving LDG

Post by iRobot » Tue 09 Sep , 2014 5:39 pm

IRC, while an idea, doesn't seem like it'd work.

Well over two thirds of the playerbase don't know the forums exist.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Tue 09 Sep , 2014 5:40 pm

There exists the facility to integrate with IRC, but honestly... IRC is a thing of the past.

darkelf
Disappeared Administrator

Post by darkelf » Tue 09 Sep , 2014 5:42 pm

1. We have an irc channel. It's hardly ever used.
2. We have server status with current player counts/player names on portal page.
Modified Skins links: Yoda team colors viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2134&p=19097#p19097 Man assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1468&p=10763#p10763 Women Assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1999&p=16615&hilit=skin#p16615
> WebAdmin [dark_elfy]: who is this pepsiman.. he seems really talkative and pissed off
> Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.: i told him i liked coca cola

focus

Post by focus » Tue 09 Sep , 2014 5:57 pm

darkelf wrote:1. We have an irc channel. It's hardly ever used.
2. We have server status with current player counts/player names on portal page.
Is the IRC channel mentioned on the portal page? I hardly could see it. Without such link (and an easily visible one), hardly anyone knows about existence of such channel. Me personally, never heard about it until this moment. Its not surprising that its unpopular.

Server status box is not related to my suggestion. It tells about players who already joined the server, not the ones who potentially could join but decide not to, coz of low playercount of server.
Azarael wrote:IRC is a thing of the past.
Pff. That 'thing of the past' attitude. Numbers are also used for thousands of years already. Its surely more ancient then IRC. Why they are still here?

But seriously, i dont care, if it is IRC or some other system. The real concern is the ability to communicate online without excessive hassle. And software for it should be widely available and widely known.
IRC has lots of advantages. Its mature. There are no problems with software for any platforms. Windows, Linux, Android, iPhone, anything. Its widely known. Why not to use it? If not IRC, maybe its possible to embed some kind of WebChat right into the some webpage then?

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Tue 09 Sep , 2014 6:21 pm

We could have a global chat though, such as prefixing with "G:" would mean global chat throughout all servers

.=

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Tue 09 Sep , 2014 6:31 pm

Izumo wrote:We could have a global chat though, such as prefixing with "G:" would mean global chat throughout all servers

.=
I'd like this, if you could opt out of it, in case people start spamming it.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Tue 09 Sep , 2014 6:51 pm

focus wrote:Pff. That 'thing of the past' attitude. Numbers are also used for thousands of years already. Its surely more ancient then IRC. Why they are still here?
Because numbers are fundamental and can never be made obsolete. IRC, however, can be and has been superseded.

focus

Post by focus » Tue 09 Sep , 2014 6:52 pm

ok ok, that was actually a trolling :)
your answer implies that you are not against idea per se, only for its IRC version. im happy to see it :)
in fact, as i stated, i am not against other systems. suggest your own thing then.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Tue 09 Sep , 2014 7:00 pm

I have no idea, since existing tools interface with IRC.