AS-GrandCanyon2k4 Rebalanced Version by Calum

For posting your maps.
calum

AS-GrandCanyon2k4 Rebalanced Version by Calum

Post by calum » Fri 23 Jul , 2010 1:45 am

Hi,

Since there is always some complaining about spam, esp on grandcanyon with its minigun-heavyness i came up with the idea of doing a rebalanced version of the good old grandcanyon2k4 version.
The main goal was to reduce the amount of spam, removing mini and adding more hitscan weapons, supported by some general balancing.

So here are the most important changes in pictures, short descriptions under the screens:

boxes can be used, offers new jumping possibilities

now LG pickup between the hp kits

shock for attackers for the "reach the hall obj"

boxes placed for new movement possibilites and cover

left and right blocked with boxes, additional shields there

new spot of house generator, box blocking incoming benders from driving up

shield + weapon locker with shock for attackers (same other side of the water)

boxes for movement possibilities /cover and a tactically placed 25 hp which can be useful for attackers

new spot of 100 shield, farer away for defenders, and it can used by attackers for last obj

that are the most obvious changes, apart from that here are some other changes that probably help in optimizing this map:
Cave: 1 tank removed, only 1 left, hp raised to 900 (from 800), spawn 30 sec

last obj: - door with a short delay time before it starts to open, opening itself takes a bit longer compared to standard version
- tank hp reduced to 650 from 800 (and doesnt spawn)

and of course many weapon lockers are changed to meet the goal less mini spam, more hitscan weapons

also all the doors are glitching-secure from benders

Download Link: http://upload-it.ch/upload/AS-GrandCany ... ced%5D.rar

Calum
Very nice action by the n00b himself!

shadownoon

Re: AS-GrandCanyon2k4 Rebalanced Version by Calum

Post by shadownoon » Fri 23 Jul , 2010 4:05 am

I honestly never thought about adding boxes to the part after the hall of spam. Seems like it's simple enough to make a big difference. But in that area, are there shock rifles? The spaces between the first 3 boxes you come into contact with look like they could be spammed with combos is there were shock rifles.

Good job man

]sNi[ShadowNoon

onrust

Post by onrust » Fri 23 Jul , 2010 12:45 pm

edit: just read that last part.
atm im thinking taht 1 tank in the cave will make it very easy for the attackers.

Some nice changes though.

maybe something could have been done to the length of the track to the last 2 objs
Last edited by onrust on Fri 23 Jul , 2010 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KimiRäikkönen

Post by KimiRäikkönen » Fri 23 Jul , 2010 12:53 pm

Not bad claum, I never thought of adding boxes in he 'reach the lift' room, now as I see this, I have an idea for the last objective, but that might fuck up the matinee.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

bOnO
UT2004 Administrator

Post by bOnO » Fri 23 Jul , 2010 6:50 pm

I've tried it, and I give you my feeling:
  • The boxes you added in the first room, i don't see the point :?: They are to low to get up to the obj, and to far from each other to jump from one to the other... I don't know what you had in mind.
  • The room where you plced the generator... I liked the "trap" replaced by a lift, that you reversed, and it was one more possibilities for attackers.
  • The sentinels in the huts where attackers arrived once they had taken the teleporter was a good idea, it prevented defenders from getting fucked by behind. (even if it was not the case in the original map)
  • The worst part: concerning the targets, you have to decide: either you make it destroyable as it was with DejaVu's version (4 or 5 rockets) or you give them all more health (which is a wrong idea imo, because if the defenders have a good team, it lasts long enough). If you consider the first hut is the closest to defenders base, targets in huts 1 and 3 have less health than the others. I think the improvement here was good, to have to use 4 rockets to kill the targets instead of 3 in the original map, so you have to reload at least once with the rocket launcher.
  • At the end, the jumppad to go on the roof, you kept the distance of propulsion which is a bit low, and I think only a few player will ever be able to get there now ;)
  • And I don't understand why you rose the life of all the things destroyable... Some games could already last 40-50min, and now it will be hard to win in the time given.
Then for the weapons balancing, well I can't judge playing alone, we will see how it goes. But at least, correct the targets thing in the huts, it's really disturbing.
Its all about the game, and how you play it
All about control, and if you can take it
All about your debt, and if you can payit
Its all about pain and whos gonna make it...

calum

Post by calum » Fri 23 Jul , 2010 9:54 pm

@ bono:

the boxes arent supposed to lead directly to the obj
the obj isnt even that hard, they for the main reason of evading some of the spam
also the height is specifically like this so its "noob-secure", some skill is required to use the boxes in a useful way
here see the videos that show some stuff (also videos of the lift room):
http://de.xfire.com/profile/calum0/videos/

the house with the generator:
this obj isnt impossibly hard either and this one way wasnt used that often anyway
btw you can hit the generator from down there if you drive in with a bender, so its not really that hard

the 4 houses with generators:
the generators generally have more hp than in other versions
one reason is the teleporter can be used again for attackers, another reason is to prevent the "RUSH-SHOOT-DIE" guys, this should support some fighting and clearing

the jumppad to roof:
yes like i said above, skill > noobyness
and seriously, this jump IS NOT HARD AT ALL, practice it 5 times offline and you get it..

btw the first match today showed that it works quite well

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Sat 24 Jul , 2010 6:03 pm

- As for the 4 hubs: Teleporter acces: I suggest using jumppad instead of lift (useful when many players joined). And I don't like much making it available to attackers
- Maybe I'd put a linkgun for attackers (so they can be dropped and used by defenders) on tank obj.
Last edited by iZumo on Thu 29 Jul , 2010 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

calum

Post by calum » Sun 25 Jul , 2010 2:28 am

Heres the new version 2, it adds some tweaks and changes the last obj

here are the major changes in pictures:

<-- jumppads for attackers if no benders there / they want to go on foot

<-- new spot of 100 hp kit

<-- last obj in front of the gate

<-- a double damage only reachable from the boxes

<-- last obj inside

<-- new spot for shock rifle + new defenders spawns at the left and right tree

other changes:

-elevator is moving faster now and shortened wait time until it moves

- cave: added jumppads for attackers that lead to other side of the benders + 2 jumppads that lead forward

- last obj: defenders tank is removed, helicopter entry a bit larger
new attacker spawn in the house where the defenders spawn was, added jumppads that lead to the gate
thanks goes to socio for implementing the new spawns correctly

im sure this version will flow really well and make canyon a better and more enjoyable map

download link:

Code: Select all

http://upload-it.ch/upload/AS-GrandCanyon2k4-[rebalanced]-v2.rar
Calum

Conqueror

Post by Conqueror » Mon 26 Jul , 2010 10:37 pm

Was wondering who would have made these changes - and I was thinking that they were far too poorly conceived to be the work of Aza, and it seems I'm right. I've played the first few objectives and the weapon balancing is absolutely fucking terrible - Canyon is probably the most popular map in Assault in the history of UT2004 - if something isn't broken, don't try and fix it.

calum

Post by calum » Tue 27 Jul , 2010 2:27 am

most popular map in Assault in the history of UT2004 - if something isn't broken, don't try and fix it.
yes here we go, the map is broken and has some major flaws, starting with the constant mini, big empty elevator hall inviting you to spam with mini like a mad man, continuing with the hp of the house generators, the cave and of course the last obj..
it seems in all these years no one really tryed to change this and improve the map (apart from the doorglitch-fixes), ok a while ago dejavu did, but his attempt was horrible, with a lot of random and stupid changes

im playing ut2k4 since its release and i played this map countless times ever since, more than most other guys here, i know it like no one else, and im perfectly sure that my changes are improving the map in terms of balance, gameplay and flow, if someone like you conqueror cant realize the simple effectiveness of some added boxes in the hall and changed weapon loadouts than its just sad

all the major standard map players, and guys that know their shit when it comes to assault agree with me that this version is clearly better, aza, socio, boz, etc

so pls stop complaining about pointless stuff, if you dont know shit about balancing and the design and flow of good as maps, i do

calum