New maps! New, better attempt at Onslaught!

Discuss the Ballistic Weapons servers here.
CaptainXavious
V.I.P. Member

New maps! New, better attempt at Onslaught!

Post by CaptainXavious » Sun 23 Nov , 2014 7:57 am

Ok, so I'll admit the earlier attempt at No Vehicles Onslaught kinda stank, but I don't think it was simply bad on principle, its just that Onslaught was really oriented to be used with vehicles.

Well I had ONS modified a bit so that nodes are now destroyed and built not by shooting at them, but by sticking around them, like in Battle Field or Team Fortress 2. To claim a neutral node, you have to actually touch the node plate, but after that, the more team mates you have near the node, the faster it will build, and if enemies are near the node, they will destroy it at the same rate a team mate builds it, so if you outnumber the enemies, you will still keep building it, but at a much slower rate. If they outnumber you, it starts getting destroyed. The power core itself is still destroyed by damage.

Currently, I have maps set up so that there are 2 or 3 separate node paths in the maps I've set up so far. Nodes labeled A will link to the opposite node labeled A and are generally along a direct path through bases, likewise for ones labeled B, only they are generally in a side route. These paths require both nodes to be built in order to gain access to the enemy core, generally speaking one node is in your base, the other node is in the enemy base. So far, the build time for these nodes are generally 10 seconds (when a single player is on them).

Nodes labeled Mid are a direct link to the enemy core and take generally 15 seconds to build (assuming there is only one player on it), they are placed in a neutral zone in the middle of the map. Some nodes can be built/destroyed from standing above or below the plate, giving you a way to defend or attack while not being directly in the main fight, staying out of view. You will know you are in range to build/destroy a node when you have a subtle yellow fog effect, as shown in the following pictures:

[Out of range]

[In range]

And here are some of the maps available (they will have the prefix "ONS-CP-"):

ONS-CP-DoubleDammage

This is largely the same as the default version, with a few jump pads and platforms added to get into the bases from the sniper balconies (a shield jump was required before, not very accessible in BW) and a couple changes here and there. Unique to this map is that the capture zone for mid point is the entire round platform, a huge area about 2 or 3 times bigger than most other capture zones. This map has three node paths to core.

Suitable for a large player count.

ONS-CP-FP2-Rankin

From Flag Pack 2, I did not modify this map at all save for the ground tile textures in each base, to help differentiate red base from blue base a little more. Mid point is on the top, with a double damage available underneath. You can capture/destroy the node from above or below, but you still have to touch the plate manually to start the capture. Be advised that this map, being a mirrored over Rankin, makes a lot of use of dodge ramps to get around, and considering BW's slower movement, it may be a bit of a hassle. Let me know how you feel about this. Has two node paths to core.

Suitable for a smaller amount of players.

ONS-CP-BP2-Pistola

I made quite a few changes to this map, mid point is now underneath the bridge with quite a bit of cover added around it, node can be built/destroyed from atop the bridge. The dodge ramps were given a flat surface underneath them so that you can actually place an NFUD Boost Pad at the base of them to speed up deployments/navigation. I'm still not really sure if I should leave the powerups on the nodes or just remove them. Let me know what you think. This map has two node paths to core.

Suitable for a smaller player count.

ONS-CP-UCMP2-Sublimity

This map has a lot of routes on top, very useful for getting around defenses and attacking the nodes from odd angles. Use it to your advantage. I have added a couple jump pads on the sniper balcony leading up to the bridge across the top. You could normally get to the bridge from that balcony with a shield dodge jump, but again, BW lacks the mobility of stock ut04. This map has three node paths to the core.

Suitable for a lot of players.

ONS-CP-DecaneCaldera

Quite a bit of cover here, and a big ol' tower you can snipe from smack dab in the middle. Have fun getting to it with the only route being one of two jump pads. The mid point is something of a meat grinder, but it IS a direct link to the enemy core. I recommend using the combat wrench to keep the enemy fire off you. With two more routes to get to the enemy core, it might not be worth claiming mid.

Suitable for probably a moderate amount of players.

These maps are already up and ready to try, so give it a shot and let me know what you think. If there's something wrong, something that can be improved, let me know.

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Re: New maps! New, better attempt at Onslaught!

Post by iZumo » Sun 23 Nov , 2014 9:47 am

This is more "Domination" type of mode, rather than ONS, as you write it?

Oska
The wise man

Post by Oska » Sun 23 Nov , 2014 1:05 pm

What ever name it has, the idea looks great.
anyway, did someone put their salami into your mama's underwear or something? - team-spec*Azarael

Definitelynotjay

Post by Definitelynotjay » Sun 23 Nov , 2014 1:17 pm

I agree! Looks really promising. Keep us updated. :)
You see a mouse trap, I see free cheese and a fucking challenge.
They will try to kill you. Kill them back.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Sun 23 Nov , 2014 4:01 pm

This is Onslaught, except you cap and decap by proximity as in Domination. The other rules are exactly the same.

taries

Post by taries » Sun 23 Nov , 2014 5:32 pm

Izumo wrote:This is more "Domination" type of mode, rather than ONS, as you write it?
Actually i liked Domination from UT99 its one of few things that should stay, Double Domination isn't as much fun and I barely see anyone play it.

CaptainXavious
V.I.P. Member

Post by CaptainXavious » Sun 23 Nov , 2014 10:31 pm

Izumo wrote:This is more "Domination" type of mode, rather than ONS, as you write it?
Well, it IS ONS, but this new format (proxy cap, very fast cap rates, multiple paths) makes it play something more like domination.
Definitelynotjay wrote:I agree! Looks really promising. Keep us updated. :)
Actually, I need you guys to keep ME updated. Its already done and playable, voteable on the server right now, I just need some serious feedback on this. I haven't really got a chance to play this with more than like 4 people. Past that, I was just playing it against bots, which, while it was fun, doesn't really tell me a whole lot about how this plays.

Definitelynotjay

Post by Definitelynotjay » Sun 23 Nov , 2014 10:35 pm

I say just add it and see how it plays out. Can't do any harm.
You see a mouse trap, I see free cheese and a fucking challenge.
They will try to kill you. Kill them back.

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Sun 23 Nov , 2014 10:45 pm

taries wrote:
Actually i liked Domination from UT99 its one of few things that should stay, Double Domination isn't as much fun and I barely see anyone play it.
Actually UT99 domination needed a little bit more development: the problem was, that you would rather go and touch the node first, then really get bothered by the defender. It should be that the defender (the last one touching the node) must be killed (or leave proximity) before the node can change it's owner.

CaptainXavious
V.I.P. Member

Post by CaptainXavious » Sun 23 Nov , 2014 10:48 pm

Definitelynotjay wrote:I say just add it and see how it plays out. Can't do any harm.
Well yeah, that was sort of my point. It was added a couple days ago. :P

Apparently we got a crash though, seeing as this is the first time we really got to test it with more than a hand full of players. Its being worked on now.