Melee Displacement

For discussion of gameplay and weapon balance. This is a discussion forum and post quality is moderated.
Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.
UT2004 Administrator

Melee Displacement

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Fri 09 Jan , 2015 4:42 pm

Wanted to bring up this balance discussion, and want some opinions on melee displacement whilst using the 59 (maybe a poll or something, I dunno).

Basically, I'm concerned that it is too easy to disable an opponent using the melee function key, and then fire away whilst the opponent is crippled whilst using the 59. I'm all for melee and displacement, I like how it works - just not with the 59.

So I'd like some opinions.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

Aberiu
V.I.P. Member

Re: Melee Displacement in Non-melee Slots

Post by Aberiu » Fri 09 Jan , 2015 4:45 pm

Another solution would be to increase delay after using melee on 59

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Fri 09 Jan , 2015 5:17 pm

I think it's fine. You want to encourage people using SMGs as they are often neglected.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Fri 09 Jan , 2015 6:12 pm

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. wrote:Basically, I'm concerned that it is too easy to disable an opponent using the melee function key, and then fire away whilst the opponent is crippled.
You may want to consider making this thread specifically about the 59, as displacement in general is working exactly as intended. The issue with melee is that it's high risk and needs a high reward, especially when considering the ease and temptation to simply shoot a player to death with the gun. Previously, the reward was charging instant kill, but this was complained about, so displacement was added instead to both give the necessary advantage required to balance melee attacks and prevent the issue of players simply spamming hipfire when being engaged in melee (and indeed, in general, as close-range combat devolved into noskill hipfire spam.)

Bayonet melee attacks require charging and their displacement period is proportional to their charge. This is probably a lesser known aspect of melee, but as a result of this, missing a bayonet charge doesn't mean that a player can spam the enemy to death with melee, so the player is forced to resort to shooting. Meanwhile, drawing a true melee weapon has a time penalty, results in lower damage and prevents one from shooting, but grants more frequent opportunities to apply displacement.

The Fifty-9 is in the unique position of having a powerful short-ranged primary fire combined with a rapid-fire melee attack which displaces, and which must confer some kind of use to the weapon in order not to be obscured by the primary.

I'd also like to add that if these complaints are motivated by experience on Highlander in particular, I'm not too bothered - I melee all the time on Highlander and it's the price of voting a map with narrow corridors.

UT2004 Administrator

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Fri 09 Jan , 2015 6:39 pm

Hmm, you are correct, I guess this should be a 59 thread. I'l alter the topic accordingly. This isn't a topic about displacement in general, nor motivated by Highlander, as I too use melee all the time and think displacement is a good addition. It's my concern that primary and secondary weapons, particularly the 59 and perhaps only, shouldn't use displacement, particularly as their damage per hit is higher than that of the melee slot weapons (59 is 90 + displacement).
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Fri 09 Jan , 2015 6:40 pm

59's melee damage will be reduced.

Aberiu
V.I.P. Member

Re: Melee Displacement with 59

Post by Aberiu » Fri 09 Jan , 2015 7:59 pm

Or maybe you could reduce it's primary fire damage and melee delay to encourage people to use a combo attack? Otherwise it's pretty much xrs, and we already have one.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Re: Melee Displacement with 59

Post by Azarael » Fri 09 Jan , 2015 8:00 pm

59 melee is out of line, statistically speaking. That's more of a general fix than a targeted solution.

UT2004 Administrator

Re: Melee Displacement

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Mon 02 Mar , 2015 12:08 am

Might be a bug, but I'll post it here just in case - I think the melee displacement time for those primary and secondary weapon slots is too much. Fully charged, one of the shotguns dealt a displacement of five seconds.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Re: Melee Displacement

Post by Azarael » Mon 02 Mar , 2015 1:14 am

Five seconds is definitely out of line.