just got banned...

If you feel a ban has been made in error, appeal it here.
iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Re: just got banned...

Post by iZumo » Sun 11 Jan , 2015 3:34 pm

Butcher wrote:Yap, that's what I mean, I did not do anything wrong and I got a Nick lock?... What is the reason behind?
You know, we find it a bit suspicious because you changed the name between disconnect and rejoin.

We have the logs to see that you did not change teams and I myself do not doubt that the rejoin was because of lag.

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Sun 11 Jan , 2015 3:50 pm

Perhaps we need an informal rule or guide stating that disconnected players need to spectate instead of joining straight in to ensure that no one was switched. Because it is annoying.

Also, that video is educational for an entirely different reason: if the likes of Butcher are still using only the plain red or blue coloured player labelling instead of the health spectrum, it's no wonder proximity healing never occurs ... D=
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Sun 11 Jan , 2015 3:55 pm

Alternatively, we could say that "shit happens" and deal with it as it rarely happens and if it's deliberate, they can be banned. I'm not much of a fan of punishing people who suffer from connection issues any more than they already are.

If the health spectrum should be forced upon players, then I'm happy to change it.

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Sun 11 Jan , 2015 3:57 pm

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. wrote:Perhaps we need an informal rule or guide stating that disconnected players need to spectate instead of joining straight in to ensure that no one was switched. Because it is annoying.
It's perhaps annoying, but I'm against that. It would be super-annoying to those who get disconnected for instance. I'm no fan of swinging the ban hammer when not needed either. Only deliberate DC -> rejoins with obvious team manipulation intent are punishable.

Pinky

Post by Pinky » Sun 11 Jan , 2015 4:01 pm

iRobot wrote:While I don't agree with the ban on the basis of TB abuse, if numerous admins are asking you to spectate, you should do it. On this occasion, he didn't.
forcespec?

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Sun 11 Jan , 2015 4:05 pm

Pinky wrote:
iRobot wrote:While I don't agree with the ban on the basis of TB abuse, if numerous admins are asking you to spectate, you should do it. On this occasion, he didn't.
forcespec?
Then why do the admins even ask for spec when they can just force it?

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Sun 11 Jan , 2015 4:06 pm

It is for that reason, I feel the ban is fair, rather than for suspected TB abuse.
4b) Admins are always right. If an admin gives an order, comply with it or leave.
As I explained before, I did not have enough time to spec. It was just few seconds and as you may see, I said the reason why to disconnect and connect In the log: I was lagged!
Any of you cannot expect me to play with those lags... see the video.. one moment I'm there, another I'm dead... it happens often, but since no one believes me that I'm delayed or lagged, I stop saying it some months ago... I have been subject to mockery for stating this to the point of receiving comments like: "Everytime you get killed you say you are lagged!"
Now, yes, I like my name as ö, I've used this nick consistently the last months, and I change it cause I want to .... Is like Azarael:
One day: Azarael, next day Team*spec Azarael... or gizmo, Talisker, Schmetterling or whatever nick they want, Lets see Jester, Ghostbusters yesterday?..what is the problem in me calling myself ö? That is segregation (like sexism, racism, etc...) and violates my freedoms
Edit: health spectrum? what is that?
Last edited by Butcher on Sun 11 Jan , 2015 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Sun 11 Jan , 2015 4:09 pm

The belief is that you change your name away from that handle only because you believe it has some kind of effect on your lag. I can assure you that it doesn't, the variable is PlayerReplicationInfo.PlayerName and it's replicated only when changed.
iRobot wrote:Then why do the admins even ask for spec when they can just force it?
Yes.

giZmo
Hogwarts Professor

Post by giZmo » Sun 11 Jan , 2015 4:12 pm

iRobot wrote:
Then why do the admins even ask for spec when they can just force it?
Then why do we admins even warn players when we can just ban them?
"We never truly know how to appreciate something until we have lost it forever."

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Sun 11 Jan , 2015 4:13 pm

False comparison. Forcespec is a tool which would have resolved the problem without having to ban him. Warning players is a tool which can resolve problems without having to ban players. Forcespec should have been used.