M46 Mines

For discussion of gameplay and weapon balance. This is a discussion forum and post quality is moderated.
Calypto

M46 Mines

Post by Calypto » Sat 28 Feb , 2015 2:28 am

The explosion radius and damage overpower pineapples in their current state. If you can get lucky and get mine kills off camping the frozen, you can do massive amounts of damage in total, considering you get one pine per lifetime.

Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Re: M46 Mines

Post by Skaldy » Sat 28 Feb , 2015 2:28 pm

I can see how that annoys, but I think it's a valid strategy and I don't see them being used that often.

However, what is a bit op imho is that you can run around with it primed (same as AK-47 knife complaints) and if you land it on your opponent it's almost certainly a guaranteed kill which they can't escape. I don't think the mines should stick to players really.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Sat 28 Feb , 2015 4:59 pm

Would you consider the ability to hit Use to remove the mine a balancing addition?

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Sat 28 Feb , 2015 6:48 pm

Sure, but it still has a high radius.

Mecha
V.I.P. Member

Post by Mecha » Sat 28 Feb , 2015 7:49 pm

Azarael wrote:Would you consider the ability to hit Use to remove the mine a balancing addition?
I could swear this feature is already present for like since the addition of M46, because I pick up mines whenever I see one.
↑ ↓ A A B ← → A B ↑ A ↓ → → ← B ↑ ← A → B ← → A ← ↑ A ↓ A → ← B Select

I did it. Can you?

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Sat 28 Feb , 2015 8:20 pm

I think you misunderstand. If you're struck by a direct M46 mine, you take about 160 damage on a delayed timer and there's no way to avoid that.

Greedisgood

Post by Greedisgood » Sat 28 Feb , 2015 10:12 pm

Been using the wep for a while, here is how it goes: jump around with no sights, having the grenade prepared, see the enemy, launch it from basically any distance, finish him off with few hip shots. Its kinda like having a long-range nanoblade with ammo. How about just dropping off the mine automatically a moment before it explodes? Would be just enough to dodge away and minimize the damage and would require some timing, making it kinda fair for both sides. Just dont castrate another fine mechanic, i beg you.
"Not one has eggs to chance" - Brötchen of Hellfire

Rymosrac
Revolver Ocelot

Post by Rymosrac » Sat 28 Feb , 2015 10:49 pm

I'd just as soon see the mine not stick to people at all. This isn't goldeneye.

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Sat 28 Feb , 2015 11:19 pm

well, I've been sticking them to the roofs for no one to pick them. (=
Take in count there is quite some time between the mine is deployed until you may detonate it. But in my opinion the mine usage is the main advantage to use the weapon, so removing it will make it kind of useless... As opponent, you may pick them and if you have a M46 you have another mine :) or you might shoot them and get rid of them, also when there is any enemy close by and you shoot them, they make the same effect as if the mine was detonated by the user but for you!! I do this all the time. So you can use them in your advantage...
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Post by Skaldy » Sun 01 Mar , 2015 12:55 am

You can't be sure an M46 mine is on you anyway. Having to press Use to remove one would mean inconvenience, and most players won't learn it either.

So I'd rather it just didn't stick - either drop to floor, deflect or go straight through - whatever's easiest.

People can still aim a grenade at the floor near a player and detonate it with a shot if they want. At least the opponent gets the chance to dodge.