Dark Star

For discussion of gameplay and weapon balance. This is a discussion forum and post quality is moderated.
Capaco

Re: Dark Star

Post by Capaco » Sun 08 Mar , 2015 8:09 pm

Its not just Highlander, its just the same discussion cause nothing changed about melee ( a key to use...erm okay)

1) Damage by all melee weps is way to high, even from front. How can it be that running with charging melee is available, getting instakill about it. Shouldnt be shooting be the point in LDG Ballistics and not getting kills by melee? Weapons are strong enough already, they dont need an instakill button.
2) After u got hit by melee u just spam the wep and u die, cause you cant react plus wep even displaces.

@ Robot: Area doesnt matter, there are good and bad maps for it, in general the damage is too high.. The focus should be on shooting and not on MeleeIng ( good word fuck_yeah )
@ aberiu: I say nothing about bullets, go ahead, its about instakilling weapons, example...Melee counts more then a precious x83 Headshot?

Dark Star is fine. Kinjin go ahead.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Sun 08 Mar , 2015 8:16 pm

Melee has a range of 128, which in UT is about 2 metres. You're honestly telling me you think that in a situation where you get hit by a charged attack with a range of 2m from the front in a game with UT mechanics, you don't deserve to get dropped?

It generally comes back to the same thing: that the design of Highlander in particular is conducive to meleeing.

CaptainXavious
V.I.P. Member

Post by CaptainXavious » Sun 08 Mar , 2015 8:20 pm

Ballistic knife is melee. Therefore Ballistic Weapons should be about melee'ing, right? Because ballistic knife?

Aberiu
V.I.P. Member

Post by Aberiu » Sun 08 Mar , 2015 8:33 pm

Melee counts more then a precious x83 Headshot?
Actually yeah, for me it does. For a game which originally was all about movement BW is a bit too overwhelmed with snipers who can't fight at close range and whine every time they get owned with a shotgun or melee. All top players are sniping - giz, klown, mike. Melee is just as good and sometimes it can produce some spectacular kills when used together with wall dodge jumping and good timing, but this only happens if the map is originally designed for arena deathmatch. Unfortunately such maps rarely get voted, people prefer flat and simple gameplay, and they don't even have a chance to educate themselves how to fight close or avoid dead end situations.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Sun 08 Mar , 2015 8:45 pm

An addendum:

The focus "should" be on making every single aspect of all the weapons viable.

I don't care what the name of the mod is. The aim of this project was and is to make everything viable and give everything its place, without regard to realism constraints.

Capaco

Post by Capaco » Sun 08 Mar , 2015 9:09 pm

Nothing against you or DS :)

Satin
Disappeared Administrator

Post by Satin » Mon 09 Mar , 2015 11:17 am

Azarael wrote:An addendum:

The focus "should" be on making every single aspect of all the weapons viable.

I don't care what the name of the mod is. The aim of this project was and is to make everything viable and give everything its place, without regard to realism constraints.
I wish you would apply that principle and make semi auto fire available again on every weapon that supports it, so sick of having rifles etc that have Auto/Burst only, some of us take pleasure in precision shooting, that sniper rifles aren't very good at (i.e.. closer distances)

If people wish to spam, they can select auto, those of us that don't can select semi.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Mon 09 Mar , 2015 11:45 am

1) You can just click to fire a shot or a short burst
2) A single shot from most rifles does between 20 and 40 damage, player health is 175 by default, so you will always want a short burst anyway

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Mon 09 Mar , 2015 4:07 pm

For previous weapons, changing them all to single shot would be too much effort, but for future weapons a single shot mode would be nice.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Mon 09 Mar , 2015 4:59 pm

Single shot mode was removed because it was useless, and I will defend that to the death. If you don't have the motor control to be able to click then why would you expect to be able to influence the game design?