Dark Star

For discussion of gameplay and weapon balance. This is a discussion forum and post quality is moderated.
Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Re: Dark Star

Post by Skaldy » Sun 08 Mar , 2015 12:46 pm

It depends if we think that running around tunnels, junctions, doors & lifts with chainsaw activated is a valid strategy. It does seem a bit lame to me, because there's very little chance to counter - just like the AK knife before the recent nerf. Once it "hits" it should deactivate for a while. However, the DS is not an amazing choice overall and let's be honest we're only really discussing one player. ;)

Regarding shotguns, the mod seems skewed towards distance shooting now - nets of 30,50,70 are occurring. I know some of the important players view shotguns as frustratingly spammy up close but the SK-410 and SKAS have been slight over-nerfed imho. They can't stand against the 59, XRS, CX61, SAR, or even M353, so nobody is using them. The lower-skilled and those who prefer fast close combat deserve a bit of love too.

Capaco

Post by Capaco » Sun 08 Mar , 2015 3:41 pm

Best example highlander yesterday, good map for Kinjin with his DS and "ppl running around with charged melee weps...oh cool instakill", right Aberiu? notbad

Oska
The wise man

Post by Oska » Sun 08 Mar , 2015 4:32 pm

Capaco wrote:and "ppl running around with charged melee weps...oh cool instakill", right Aberiu? notbad
Charged melee + spamming the A73 like a boss. I wish melee weapons were as good as that.
anyway, did someone put their salami into your mama's underwear or something? - team-spec*Azarael

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Sun 08 Mar , 2015 5:16 pm

Capaco wrote:Best example highlander yesterday, good map for Kinjin with his DS and "ppl running around with charged melee weps...oh cool instakill", right Aberiu? notbad
Complaints made solely based on features of Highlander will be ignored in future.

I'm sorry, but I am not changing the game because some people can't accept that their baby is flawed. If someone wants to fix the tunnels, go ahead, but until then I'll balance based on performance on all maps and not just realism maps.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Sun 08 Mar , 2015 5:27 pm

Melee is effective in narrow and claustrophobic conditions. Counter to that, melee is extremely weak in open areas. You wish to nerf melee in the one archetype where it is most effective, which leaves you with a weapon that is effectively useless.

A good counter to melee that requires no gameplay changes however, might I present;

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.
Disappeared Administrator

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Sun 08 Mar , 2015 5:54 pm

My complaint isn't Highlander based - there is a legitimate bug with the Dark Star in terms of 100% hip fire accuracy, which reverts back to what it should be after the user activates and then deactivates Iron Sights. Gives any Dark Star user an extreme advantage in being able to jump and dodge whilst being extremely accurate.

Regarding the Dark Star melee, I have no issue with the mechanics of it. My concern is that the vampiric regeneration is too strong, and gives the user an unfair advantage - in fact, I would say the regeneration is an unneccesary perk.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

Mecha
V.I.P. Member

Post by Mecha » Sun 08 Mar , 2015 6:14 pm

I gotta say, I overestimated the DS a bit. Today I've played matches on Cheops and Rankin with A49, SK-410 and R9 in my loadout and didn't got killed by DS melee unlike others, only its bolt killed me (two shots in a rapid succession, unaimed while midair). The encounters were all close-ranged 1v1 duels and it sucked in all engagements once I launched the user in the air with A49 and then used my shotgun. I hope I can test this strategy more often in the future...
↑ ↓ A A B ← → A B ↑ A ↓ → → ← B ↑ ← A → B ← → A ← ↑ A ↓ A → ← B Select

I did it. Can you?

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Sun 08 Mar , 2015 6:27 pm

The existence of the bug is accepted, and it will be fixed. I should have mentioned that. :P

The reason the DS has regeneration is because it's just too high risk to use without it. Other weapons will kill outright if you enter melee range and don't have to consume ammo to do so. The DS, by contrast, both consumes ammo and leaves the user vulnerable to hip spam.

Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Post by Skaldy » Sun 08 Mar , 2015 6:59 pm

You're right about the MRS shotgun - it's not too bad at all. Quite precise when aimed, and a better choice than the SK or SKAS.

Aberiu
V.I.P. Member

Post by Aberiu » Sun 08 Mar , 2015 8:00 pm

Best example highlander yesterday, good map for Kinjin with his DS and "ppl running around with charged melee weps...oh cool instakill", right Aberiu?
Charged melee + spamming the A73 like a boss. I wish melee weapons were as good as that.
Let's see, A73 on highlander is bad cause melee, M353 on highlander is bad cause spam, FSSG is bad cause camp. So many flawed weapons in game and all of them annoy you the most on one map... Must be an unfortunate coincidence :(