Looking For Help

Discuss matters related to LDG or UT2004 which aren't specific to any server.
Calypto

Re: Looking For Help

Post by Calypto » Sat 02 May , 2015 6:38 pm

Oska wrote:Advising to install XP while Microsoft doesn't even provide security patches anymore.., very wise.
There are probably hundreds of flaws opened right now on XP. Of course it would help your performances, but at what cost.

I would have expected an "install gentoo" at least.

RoaringGnat

Post by RoaringGnat » Sat 02 May , 2015 6:54 pm

"In the worst case scenario, you can reinstall Windows. I recommend Windows XP for your hardware, but its lifetime is just about over, meaning no more software updates from both Microsoft and general software developers. If you know what you're doing, it will be very efficient on resources and simple. Windows 8 is what I use and recommend for modern hardware. Windows 8.1 has latency issues which are still unresolved. For gaming, this is unacceptable.

But for now, I would recommend installing CCleaner to clean up junkware.

After you're done with that, the next step would be to press Start+R. Type "msconfig" and press enter, then go to "Startup." You will find programs that launch when Windows starts. While this generally will only affect start-up speed, it can occur that there are numerous applications that launch that you do not use, and they will add up to become a large resource hog. If you're not sure about a program, search for it in your search engine."

Actually Cal, I have an older desktop with Windows XP. I used it for quite a while to play UT2004. It was always slow getting into the game, but once in it played fairly well. However, over time it got slower and slower, until getting into a game was impossible. By the time it opened up, a new map was being downloaded. So I switched to my wife's newer computer. In light of what you said tho, I plan on taking another look at the old xp. So, thanx.

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Sat 02 May , 2015 7:19 pm

Ah, so you're going down the XP path. Well, be careful. I suggest installing Malwarebytes if you do intend to run XP, as it is quite vulnerable to malware. Even if you're careful to install only programs you trust as well as visit only websites you trust, I don't suggest using that computer for banking or for other activities that involve sensitive information. If you'd like to do that, I would recommend a UNIX-based operating system.
RoaringGnat wrote:However, over time it got slower and slower, until getting into a game was impossible. By the time it opened up, a new map was being downloaded.
This sounds like a classic case of HDD fragmentation, which can happen over time with NTFS (file system). De-fragmenting might substantially help.

RoaringGnat

Post by RoaringGnat » Sat 02 May , 2015 8:16 pm

Calypto wrote:Ah, so you're going down the XP path. Well, be careful. I suggest installing Malwarebytes if you do intend to run XP, as it is quite vulnerable to malware. Even if you're careful to install only programs you trust as well as visit only websites you trust, I don't suggest using that computer for banking or for other activities that involve sensitive information. If you'd like to do that, I would recommend a UNIX-based operating system.
This sounds like a classic case of HDD fragmentation, which can happen over time with NTFS (file system). De-fragmenting might substantially help.
The XP is old, Cal. It was so messed up with viruses and malware that it was beyond help, so I bought a disk about a year ago and totally wiped it clean. I installed a new xp and it ran well until recently. I have used it primarily for doing art work, rarely going online. I've defragmented it several times and have Norton 360 on it. I may try re-installing XP after transferring my art and pics. We'll see what happens.

Thanx. I appreciate the help and tips.

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Mon 04 May , 2015 1:56 pm

Hi Gnat, I found this long time ago in a tutorial that might help you to configure your UT such that it gives you a better performance. I have this info here only, I'll have to check my backups to find the complete tutorials. I am not sure for the PC config, but the UT config will help:
4) Ingame Setup
Most settings will not matter, however a few are quite important towards consistent play.
a) Force Model. While many people dislike using forcemodel because it reduces variety, it is crucial in order to get a consistent reaction towards a player appearing.
b) Coronas. Turn these off. Some would argue that this can allow another area to illicit a reaction to position, however in my experience... position is enough and caronas cause nothing more but confusion.
c) Texture Detail. This DOESN'T matter. It is a myth that lower texture detail makes playing easier with the exception of better FPS... play where you feel comfortable. If it makes you happier playing with higher texture detial as it does me, keep it that way.
d) World Detail. Turn this to low -- this is necessary because certain maps will have objects which are fake that show at high world detail. You don't want to have your view blocked by fake objects.
e) Dynamic Lighting. Turn this on. It will make seeing certain projectiles easier, and causes little fps loss in my experience.
f) Foliage. Turn it off. Much like high world detail, it is a fake object.
g) Player Hightlighting. Turn it on. Why play without it when the server has it on?
h) Automatic Weapon Switch on Pickup. Turn this off... this is absolutely the most crucial setting to disable. It may be more convenient, but with time you will get used to individual weapon bids, and this setting will be nothing but a hindrance.
i) Weapon bob. Turn it off. This is a fake effect, the aim does not actually bob. So, much like world detail, it is nothing but a hindrance.
j) Landing viewshake. Keep it on. Why? Beacuse, unlike bobbing, this effect is REAL, whether or not you have it turned off client side. If you turn it off, the server will think you are aiming further down than you are upon landing.
k) Crosshair. Select a crosshair that has a clear center mark. Dot and Cross are most suited for this with default crosshairs. The size should be minimal, and as uncluttered as possible(see some of the square and circle crosshairs for examples of exactly what *NOT* to use). Think of the crosshair as merely an aid, not what you aim with. You won't want to see it all the time, just when you need it. Color is not important, and opacity 200-255 is recommended since your crosshair will already be small and will have some built in opacity due to the downsizing of the texture.
l) Model selection. If you choose NOT to forcemodel, or are on an older patch where forcemodel doesn't force you to use the character you forcemodel to.... Select any model which is not Gorge or Gorge-Like. The reason for this is that most people will either have no forcemodel, or forcemodel to Gorge. Therefore, the only way you will be able to have a model which does not fit a forcemodel is not simply use non-gorge. The reason this matters is that headshots are based off the skeletal model of your specific character. Therefore, it is better to have any model except for gorge as to make headshots harder for your opponent(assuming they are aiming for the head). My own testing has shown the robot race to be most unlike the gorge skeletal model, however the difference was so minimal it may very well be my imagination
m) Weapon View. Set this to Hidden or Centered. Many people will find left/right to be more comfortable, however there is a disadvantage to using this type of view. This disadvantage is that shots will actually come out slightly off-center when using left/right orientation. For example, if you line up directly against a wall and place your crosshair immediately to one side of the wall, you will be able to fire a shock ball down a hallway on hidden/centered, while you will be unable to on left/right. This affects all weapons.
Aiming
Aiming is mostly a learned action, and is largely a personal experience. However, a few rules can always be followed.
a) Don't fire until you are ready. It is worth taking an extra half second, or even more to line up a shot if you know you can hit it. Don't just follow your instincts unless you are extremely confident in your abilities.
b) Don't trace when you can wait. Don't trace a player with your mouse unless you have to. If you know, or even suspect, a player is going for a pickup, place your crosshair at the pickup and wait. As long as you can move and maintain your crosshairt on that position consistenly, you lose nothing by simply waiting.
c) When using spam weapons up close, aim for a spot approximately one-half to one body heights behind the targets feet. Do *NOT* aim for the feet, and do not aim for the body. Don't try and think about "where they will dodge". Just fire them behind their feet. The natural reaction of any player is to dodge backwards when confronted with spam weapons.
d) When using the shieldgun, aim your crosshair at your opponents crotch. This will prevent headshots and normal hits as well as any unintended splash damage from the floor.
e) Don't second guess your spam. Just let it go. Don't think.
Furthermore, if you want I can PS you a very good UT2004.ini that will get all this nice things already... you have to change the resolution to your machine for it work, but all the tweaks are already set. I got this from some really good UT players, they were really nice to share their config files with me.
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

RoaringGnat

Post by RoaringGnat » Mon 04 May , 2015 4:17 pm

Danke, Butcher, Du hast ein sehr langes brief geschrieben mit viele gute tipps. Danke, Mein Freund. I am also thinking of, over time, buying a better video card and more memory, I have learned that my stat fps goes no higher than ninety and goes lower with more players. Sometimes playing the game is like playing with a strobe light on because the frames skip so badly. Thanks Butcher, for the suggestions. I'll make the changes today.

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Tue 05 May , 2015 10:45 am

Hey Gnat I was thinking that maybe the issue is not with your computer but with your connection to the server. You can test it like this: open the UT2004, and select single player. Use BW offline against the bots, play a couple of rounds and if you have lagging or some screen jumping, low fps or something, then is your PC, else is the connection to the server. If the game flows without the server connection then your PC is okay for the game. Play for a while, there are sometimes issues with overheating of the PC components that make the PC stutter.

If the connection is the problem, then my suggestion is to talk to calypto to see how to improve the connection from NY area...
Greets
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

Aberiu
V.I.P. Member

Post by Aberiu » Tue 05 May , 2015 6:16 pm

It's likely to be both but if you want to be 100% sure, keep fps counter on for several games and see if it goes down to 50-30.