My soon-to-be new PC

Anything goes here. Keep it tasteful.
Mecha
V.I.P. Member

Re: My soon-to-be new PC

Post by Mecha » Tue 06 Oct , 2015 9:59 pm

Izumo wrote:Mecha, not sure if you understand on the mainboard: uATX or standard ATX are not "tiers", its only about the size. Yes, standard ATX H170 board costs a little bit more (usually has more peripherals), but the main reason you need it for is the size. uATX is not made for gaming machines.
I took your comment into thought and honestly, I was kind of overwhelmed thinking about the benefits of sizes.
I know that it's only the size, I think I may have screwed up with my previous explainations.
µATX and regular ATX do have absolutely no technical differencies except for a cut in expansion slots. The northbrige PCB layout across all boards and chipsets is exactly the same, but why would I need to choose ATX over µATX for gaming? In my view, ATX and µATX are both suitable for gaming when used accordingly. Here's how I see size differencies and their use:

> ATX seems made for people who need that extra room for additional hardware. They will add complementary elements such as a second graphics card or a sound card.
> µATX would rather suit for people who don't plan to expand. These people will stick to their config base over a long time and only replace single components with superior hardware at best.

Because I won't expand my system with additional hardware, I see no reason to go full ATX. It would give me no more advantages than a µATX would (except the hassle of finding a good case). Besides of technical aspects, there is also personal tastes. My two previous computers were premade, but this time I want to try something and challenge myself by building a µATX system.
In conclusion, choosing sizes is inevitably linked with your own requirements. If you want to expand or want the most maximum performance possible, then ATX is the way to go. If you can live with limitations or are tight on a budget, ATX would still make sense, but you won't go wrong with µATX either.
Nardaq_NL wrote: Then u might look in to a higher rated PSU :mrgreen: 530W should work fine. But can stress out the PSU

Thermal and Power Specs:
92 CMaximum GPU Tempurature (in C)
250 W Graphics Card Power (W)
600 W Minimum System Power Requirement (W)
6-pin + 8-pinSupplementary Power Connectors
I replaced it with a Seasonic X-650. 650 watt power, cable management and seven years warranty. Top quality product! But going any higher than this would be just a waste of money.
Butcher wrote:Just want to make a Hardware comment:
Your system will run as fast as the slowest part of it. In this case your HHD. My advise: GET an SSD!!! its worth the extra 100€. Get a 256Gb-320Gb for the OS and games!
2 notes more for you to take in count:
HHD >2Tb will not be recognized by windows easily, you have to make a config that makes speed slower and depends on the BIOS of your machine.
The windows 7 "PRO" does not have language package. That means you can only have it in the language you bought it! Home is better for this reason, the additional tools PRO brings are not often used IMO.
I will buy a small-sized SSD in December for a start. I am using W7 Home on my craptop here, and it's really sufficient.
↑ ↓ A A B ← → A B ↑ A ↓ → → ← B ↑ ← A → B ← → A ← ↑ A ↓ A → ← B Select

I did it. Can you?

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Tue 06 Oct , 2015 11:24 pm

Mecha wrote:I took your comment into thought and honestly, I was kind of overwhelmed thinking about the benefits of sizes.
I know that it's only the size, I think I may have screwed up with my previous explainations.
µATX and regular ATX do have absolutely no technical differencies except for a cut in expansion slots. The northbrige PCB layout across all boards and chipsets is exactly the same, but why would I need to choose ATX over µATX for gaming? In my view, ATX and µATX are both suitable for gaming when used accordingly. Here's how I see size differencies and their use:

> ATX seems made for people who need that extra room for additional hardware. They will add complementary elements such as a second graphics card or a sound card.
> µATX would rather suit for people who don't plan to expand. These people will stick to their config base over a long time and only replace single components with superior hardware at best.

Because I won't expand my system with additional hardware, I see no reason to go full ATX. It would give me no more advantages than a µATX would (except the hassle of finding a good case). Besides of technical aspects, there is also personal tastes. My two previous computers were premade, but this time I want to try something and challenge myself by building a µATX system.
In conclusion, choosing sizes is inevitably linked with your own requirements. If you want to expand or want the most maximum performance possible, then ATX is the way to go. If you can live with limitations or are tight on a budget, ATX would still make sense, but you won't go wrong with µATX either.
ATX is not meant for people wishing to expand their system, and standard ATX is not more expensive than µATX in general (usually like 10E). Really, it's only about the size: smaller board fits to a smaller case. That's it. The primary challenge you'll have with µATX:
- placing all the components on their slots since there will be tiny space for them + they will overlap (i.e. GPU will block some HDD slots etc.)
- case for µATX might have problems as components may not fit
- potential heating problems

Usual troublemakers to fit the components:
- high-end GPU (takes 2 slots + is long)
- large CPU cooler

If you have the possibility to return the components within say 14 days of purchase w/o reason, then perhaps you can try to assemble it and see how it goes.

Mecha
V.I.P. Member

Post by Mecha » Wed 07 Oct , 2015 4:16 am

Izumo wrote: ATX is not meant for people wishing to expand their system, and standard ATX is not more expensive than µATX in general (usually like 10E). Really, it's only about the size: smaller board fits to a smaller case. That's it. The primary challenge you'll have with µATX:
- placing all the components on their slots since there will be tiny space for them + they will overlap (i.e. GPU will block some HDD slots etc.)
- case for µATX might have problems as components may not fit
- potential heating problems

Usual troublemakers to fit the components:
- high-end GPU (takes 2 slots + is long)
- large CPU cooler

If you have the possibility to return the components within say 14 days of purchase w/o reason, then perhaps you can try to assemble it and see how it goes.
I didn't said the chosen case was "roomy" for no reason. It has fans that can be replaced with better ones, easily fits bigger cards and even has some breathing room for the GPU. Takes CPU coolers with up to 19cm height. And yes, the parts can be returned from where I order them from.

I did it. Can you?

Aberiu
V.I.P. Member

Post by Aberiu » Wed 07 Oct , 2015 9:02 am

530W should work fine.
It depends on how long you're planning to use your PC. PSUs tend to lose power over time, I remember how my 5 years old 600W PSU became incapable of supplying gtx560ti (it just kept rebooting in games until I replaced it).

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Wed 07 Oct , 2015 9:29 am

In five years we will be living on the moon.

Mecha
V.I.P. Member

Post by Mecha » Wed 07 Oct , 2015 11:58 pm

Aberiu wrote:
530W should work fine.
It depends on how long you're planning to use your PC. PSUs tend to lose power over time, I remember how my 5 years old 600W PSU became incapable of supplying gtx560ti (it just kept rebooting in games until I replaced it).
If my shitty 300 watt noname-brand PSU held 10 years, then the Seasonic PSU should not get its ass handed to it. Because I am expecting five years minimum for a quality product like that. challenge)

I did it. Can you?

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Thu 08 Oct , 2015 2:57 pm

So when are you coming back to use the Nova?
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

Mecha
V.I.P. Member

Post by Mecha » Fri 09 Oct , 2015 6:16 pm

Butcher wrote:So when are you coming back to use the Nova?
Likely in November, can start ordering parts as soon as paycheck arrives.

I did it. Can you?

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Fri 09 Oct , 2015 6:40 pm

Mecha wrote:
Butcher wrote:So when are you coming back to use the Nova?
Likely in November, can start ordering parts as soon as paycheck arrives.
You are aware that you don't need a super high end computer to play UT2k4, ain't you?... Grab any laptop newer than 2006, connect it to a nice monitor and your gaming human interfaces and will be enough for the meanwhile... :D just saying...
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

Mecha
V.I.P. Member

Post by Mecha » Tue 03 Nov , 2015 9:52 pm

Hey guys. I have some big news. Good and bad ones.

Bad ones first:
My budget got tighter because of the stupid driver's license document fees (application itself + medical estimate because of my bad eyesight) and some other things (parents just won't shut up when they want something). In other words, my step forward to the next level has been delayed. I tried to make some changes without affecting the overall product quality too much.

Here's what I changed:

Mainboard: MSI B150M Night Elf
B150 may sound inferior here, but H170 and B150 don't make any differences for the requirements I have. What are the differences anyway, PCI-E lane count and M.2 support? God help us! If I ever need more slots or expansion options, I'll simply get another mainboard.

HDD: Western Digital WD10EZEX
Went cheapskate here. If it ever breaks down, I will replace it with a HGST.

SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 2,5" 256 GB
Has 10 years warranty.

PSU: EVGA 650W SuperNOVA GS
I would put this in the same quality department as the SeaSonic X-650. Why? Because it is built on a SeaSonic-based platform, has gold-rating, is fully modular and a bit cheaper.

Case: Thermaltake Core V21
Cheaper than the Aerocool DS, but has the same functionality. First chamber for horizontal mainboard mounting, second chamber for PSU and storage. You can mount fans on like everywhere. This one deserves a medal for being cheap and still so functional.

Because of my budget limitations and wanting to have some last resort funds, I can't buy all parts at once. The SSD and the graphics card will be bought in December (provided the prices don't skyrocket because christmas). The GPU already takes a huge chunk off the price, but still isn't enough.

And lastly, here are some good news:

Currently, I ordered the parts and they will (hopefully) arrive this week! If I am lucky, even before the weekend. Even without the GTX 980 Ti, I still have something to fall back to. Remember the XFX Radeon HD 5450 that wouldn't work on my old PC? I'll be using that one for the time being so that I have at least some dedicated graphics power.

I kid you not, I was very hesitant upon pressing the check-out button. Many concerns were floating in my head, from short circuits to random BSODs that made me actually afraid to put it together. Sounds stupid, I know. But we'll see how it goes.

I did it. Can you?