RACE-Caverns

For posting your maps.
Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.
Disappeared Administrator

RACE-Caverns

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Mon 25 Jan , 2016 9:22 am

Finished styling the terrain, both upper and lower. I'm really struggling to get these texture layers perfect however - would anyone be able to give me some advice? The upper terrain is painted, but I've spent hours turning and pulling and re-scaling and just can't get some areas (particularly the cavern roof, which looks a mess) looking as I want them to - this whole xy, xz, yz thing is starting to confuse me. The walls aren't too bad.

Other issues include how the race will work - there is only one track, so I'm going for a Moon Valley style rally sequence, but with benders. The other issue is that the file is already 112 mb in size, with the lower terrain not yet layered. Not sure if I can lower this to be honest.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

Calypto

Re: RACE-Caverns

Post by Calypto » Mon 25 Jan , 2016 10:49 am

oy gevalt use DXT1

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Mon 25 Jan , 2016 12:52 pm

112mb isn't too bad really. For modern connections that's about a 10-20 sec download, and since most of the players are regular they will only have to download this once.

Since it's only one track, perhaps you can fulfill my dreams and rather than an objective at the end of the track, there is a power core. The objective is to collect the core and return it to your base. I've just always thought this would a great scenario for a map. Having the objective going against oncoming traffic, rather than away from it, which results in a single car getting too far ahead and everyone else just doing laps of spawn.

Is the track doable in reverse?

The both teams core and goal could be copied from bulldog, so the premise should be simple to replicate.

Satin

Post by Satin » Mon 25 Jan , 2016 6:02 pm

I like that, maybe the first team to get 5 cores into the power plant wins - or something.

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Mon 25 Jan , 2016 7:09 pm

Hmm well the textures are compressed in the package, but not in the terrain. How can I change this?

Not sure if the powercore can be used with RACE. I'll take a look. It's a nice idea though for something different; the track itself would work well with the concept. It would probably have to be only 1 score per game though - I guess it's a 4 minute track, although I haven't driven it yet. Still busy with the texturing.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Tue 26 Jan , 2016 10:31 pm

Texturing is complete, by and large. Track is around 3 and a half minutes long, so still need to think of a working concept. Just needs some meshes to decorate and lighting now.

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Tue 26 Jan , 2016 10:38 pm

That looks good. I don't know how to compress it :)

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Fri 29 Jan , 2016 12:41 am

The .uz2 will be compressed for downloads, so don't worry about the RAW map size.

ILoveTheNorth

Post by ILoveTheNorth » Sat 30 Jan , 2016 6:11 pm

Looks really good!

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Mon 01 Feb , 2016 11:52 pm

It's finished, and uploaded - sadly we've got major issues with RAM usage; game chops every five seconds, making driving impossible. I've cut away as much of the terrain as possible, stuck the fog down considerably, changed the terrain sector size ... nothing is stopping the chops. So I'm sort of stuck at the moment, not sure how to solve this without re-doing the map. I'll add a link to the map if anyone wants to take a look.

https://www.mediafire.com/?dtg88j1qh1ejd6r