Junk Administrator

Re: RACE-Caverns

Post by iRobot » Thu 04 Feb , 2016 11:35 pm

Sorry to hear it.

ZioFede

Post by ZioFede » Fri 05 Feb , 2016 10:48 am

Don't think about it, it's in a better place :cry:

God should have let Paul live and let you die instead, worthless piece of shit. -Mr. H&some about a random actor-

bOnO
UT2004 Administrator

Post by bOnO » Fri 05 Feb , 2016 4:04 pm

Well, good luck!
Its all about the game, and how you play it
All about control, and if you can take it
All about your debt, and if you can payit
Its all about pain and whos gonna make it...

Cryflex

Post by Cryflex » Mon 08 Feb , 2016 10:05 pm

I got to say, we played this yesterday and it was pretty nice. Love the layout, it's lovely and bumpy, dangerous and nicely done. I liked the map a lot. Shame megafun was on but yeah good work!

One suggestion I have is to make an edit to the base to stop the team at the top from being able to fall of the back of the platform by reversing (just to even it out in terms of fairness
Successfully defeated Hamish twice with 7 day bans, without even posting even with him having admin "friends".(2016)

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.
Disappeared Administrator

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Mon 08 Feb , 2016 10:08 pm

I'm going to make a two-objective outside area, and make the cavern part as the final objective. The spawns will therefore drop in to the cavern.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

Cryflex

Post by Cryflex » Tue 09 Feb , 2016 3:44 pm

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. wrote:I'm going to make a two-objective outside area, and make the cavern part as the final objective. The spawns will therefore drop in to the cavern.
Awesome, what sort of outside areas?

Could you maybe do a different style of caverns as one objective where it's got like 20 equally as fast routes to get to the objective but make them all able to connect through gaps, sort of make it like the scene from Fast & Furious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_errHqd92k

My awesome (terrible) mspaint work that I did via my phone... lol: http://i.imgur.com/BZnGCwB.png the red bits at the far right could be a wall separating them (but you can fire over the top of the wall) and lined up all the edge of the wall put loads of barrels that can explode.

Should make sense... hopefully?
Successfully defeated Hamish twice with 7 day bans, without even posting even with him having admin "friends".(2016)

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Tue 09 Feb , 2016 3:47 pm

Having so many different routes to the objective just turns the course into a pseudo-trial and removes player interaction. It doesn't make for great gameplay if you ask me.

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Tue 09 Feb , 2016 7:43 pm

No, one route with a few divergent paths is the best we can do in RACE. Otherwise players will have little chance of tackling an opponent in a non trial map; plus, it takes too much time and I'm a busy man.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

Cryflex

Post by Cryflex » Wed 10 Feb , 2016 4:09 pm

iRobot wrote:Having so many different routes to the objective just turns the course into a pseudo-trial and removes player interaction. It doesn't make for great gameplay if you ask me.
Good point, I didn't think of that. Yeah.
Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. wrote:No, one route with a few divergent paths is the best we can do in RACE. Otherwise players will have little chance of tackling an opponent in a non trial map; plus, it takes too much time and I'm a busy man.
Couldn't this be resolved though by having 4 routes (2 for each team) that are all equal, a big enough wall to stop the cars going over into other lanes but small enough to allow shooting over the top and then along the route occasionally add gaps to be able to switch lanes.

I don't know how possible this suggestion is but a sort of dynamic player count objective, so if there is 10 people playing (5 per team) the objective requires 4 out of those 5 people to be at the objective in order to complete it. Which surely would encourage team-work instead of so many solo benders...

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Thu 18 Feb , 2016 12:06 am

Now has an outdoors section to compliment the Cavern, so no more three races around the same track. It's not completely polished at the moment, as I've lost motivation to make it look nice, but it's not bad; I'll come back to it later and beautify it.

Quick question: is there a way to link a Skybox to a single Zone without having to use a MultiSkyBoxZone actor thingymajiggy? I've got the Skybox linked to the outside zone, but because I've used sunlight and surfaces with the FakeBackdrop in the Cavern I'm seeing the Skybox here too. I've had to resort to no sunlight in the Cavern, so it's dark and miserable - which is realistic, I guess.