mapfixes

For posting your maps.
Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.
Disappeared Administrator

Re: mapfixes

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Wed 27 Aug , 2014 11:21 pm

I also suggest just removing the weapon. Placing trial elements in to race maps is just utterly stupid ... we are not here to cause rage and tears and antagonise an already fragile playerbase.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

darkelf

Post by darkelf » Wed 27 Aug , 2014 11:52 pm

But thats what race is. Its always had an element of troll.

But I do agree. This solution isn't going to fix the problem. Its a temperary fix. The solution is to make getting shock rifle have a very real risk. Although the camping area on top really does nothing but encurage camping. I'm a bit conflicted cause I truly believe that shock does have a good and needed purpose on this map. As in many cases its one of the few most effective ways to prevent enemy from getting obj.

I recommend keeping shock in map. But remove the campers paradise.
Modified Skins links: Yoda team colors viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2134&p=19097#p19097 Man assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1468&p=10763#p10763 Women Assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1999&p=16615&hilit=skin#p16615
> WebAdmin [dark_elfy]: who is this pepsiman.. he seems really talkative and pissed off
> Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.: i told him i liked coca cola

bOnO
UT2004 Administrator

Post by bOnO » Wed 27 Aug , 2014 11:58 pm

Yes, either remove the shock rifle and keep the roof access (but there won't be any point going there, except for megahealth) or keep the shock rifle but block the roof so that there is a way to kill the camper.
Its all about the game, and how you play it
All about control, and if you can take it
All about your debt, and if you can payit
Its all about pain and whos gonna make it...

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Thu 28 Aug , 2014 10:03 am

darkelf wrote:But thats what race is. Its always had an element of troll.
Yes

trollface

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Thu 28 Aug , 2014 11:34 am

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. wrote:I also suggest just removing the weapon. Placing trial elements in to race maps is just utterly stupid ... we are not here to cause rage and tears and antagonise an already fragile playerbase.
Having elements in maps that appeal to the better players is nice and a motivation to play. It also encourages some of the players to step out of their comfort zone and learn how to get it.

An example is the dragonfly. People hate being bombed by it, so they decided to try flying it instead. They got a new experience out of it.

If having trial elements teaches even one player to shield jump, then it's worth it. I mean some people still WW+Jump to move quickly.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 28 Aug , 2014 1:03 pm

Yeah, because shield jumping in that manner is so relevant to UT combat, right?

Face it, the proposed solution was shit. It allowed anyone who can do trials to fuck the map up in the exact same way as before.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Thu 28 Aug , 2014 2:17 pm

Azarael wrote:Yeah, because shield jumping in that manner is so relevant to UT combat, right?

Face it, the proposed solution was shit. It allowed anyone who can do trials to fuck the map up in the exact same way as before.
Watch any high level deathmatch game, count the number of shieldjumps. It's even used in assault to clear gaps you can't without.

It's part of the game and you just gotta roll with it.

proof
Banned

Post by proof » Thu 28 Aug , 2014 10:20 pm

It might surprise many people but I have to agree with Aza here. I downloaded it and tried it out. First of all the assumption that only 2% of the server could get there is simply wrong because there are 2 other ways to get there without a shieldjump. Getting back however has to be done with a shieldjump.
1) Jump there with a scorpion and exit the car on the right side.
2) park a scorpion at the very edge, then jump on it and simply jump+walldodge+jump.
Even if it included a shieldjump, I can name you more than 10 players that are able to do it and I doubt the server has an active playerbase of 500 ppl. And those people who usually camp on top are people who could make this jump anyway, I have never seen unskilled players like fubar for example (no offence) camp any map with a shock rifle.

My advice: Remove the Shock like Aza said already, skilled players who could do this shieldjump can still use the sniper rifle (which is at least available on the last obj) and headshot people out of their scorps.
Art in a frame is like an eagle in a birdcage.

darkelf

Post by darkelf » Thu 28 Aug , 2014 10:39 pm

I still think shock is needed in some cases but lets remove it.

-Remove shock rifle. I would assume to remove all shock rifles.
-Remove camping zone on obj 2. (it serves no purpose other then to be a farmer.)
-Remove mine layer. (wasn't mentioned before but that thing is devastating on obj 2.)
Modified Skins links: Yoda team colors viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2134&p=19097#p19097 Man assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1468&p=10763#p10763 Women Assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1999&p=16615&hilit=skin#p16615
> WebAdmin [dark_elfy]: who is this pepsiman.. he seems really talkative and pissed off
> Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.: i told him i liked coca cola

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Fri 29 Aug , 2014 10:21 am

Remove shock from the problem area, if you feel it is needed elsewhere. People won't camp with it if they have to go considerably out of their way to get it, and there is no ammo near the camp spot.

Whole thing could be resolved if the ramp leading to the tunnels was actually a ramp instead of a quarterpipe that leaves you vulnerable to anything.