2 Questions of the day :P

You need help? It's here!
LegendaryAgent

2 Questions of the day :P

Post by LegendaryAgent » Tue 25 Oct , 2011 5:26 am

Yeah its me again, these possibly involve no coding at all, or it might involve a bit of coding, since im not sure thats why ive posted it here, but they should be pretty easy questions to be answeared, so here it goes:

1)Is it possible to tie an emitter to a static mesh? either in UED or programatically? this mesh will get spawned by players and it will be affected by gravity, is an emiter possible to be tied to a mesh either in unreal editor by making a new package or programatically?

2) is it possible to make a totally invisible skin? theres a mesh with multiple skins and i would like to hide 1 of its effect, the easiest way i tought about it was making a final blend and use it programatically, it works fine the specific skin is invisible, but it behaves like some sort of portal, if u watch through that exact place where the skin was, the final blender makes it in a way as if you could see through meshes and grass, i dont know how to explain properly, like if it was acting as if you could see through models, including parts of the model of which had that skin too, is there anyway to trully make a skin invisible? ive also tried making a black tga file, compressing it to dds (dxt5), imported it in ued and ticked the alpha mask on, it still didnt work :S

Thanks in avance as usual

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Re: 2 Questions of the day :P

Post by Azarael » Tue 25 Oct , 2011 11:54 am

Yeah, it's possible - look at how exhaust are attached to ONSVehicles.

If you want an invisible skin, import a texture with the proper alpha channel settings.

LegendaryAgent

Post by LegendaryAgent » Tue 25 Oct , 2011 6:38 pm

Azarael wrote:Yeah, it's possible - look at how exhaust are attached to ONSVehicles.

If you want an invisible skin, import a texture with the proper alpha channel settings.
hmm so for looping emiters i have to use a trail emitter class?

and i dont understand what you mean with importing the texture with proper alpha channel settings, ive created a tga file, 16*16 pure black, compressed with ati compressonator to dxt5 imported in the ued and ticked the alpha under the options in the import window, still black.

LegendaryAgent

Post by LegendaryAgent » Wed 26 Oct , 2011 12:56 am

Wow was such a troll rofl! i kept forgetting to add a new alpha channel in the channel list in photoshop, ok now its working fine :D

As for the emitter considering u havent replied yet it probably means im not on the right track.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Wed 26 Oct , 2011 1:04 am

I meant the general method is the same - spawning them at a location relative to the vehicle, which is easy enough, and then using SetBase or similar to attach them to the vehicle. There may be some issues with this method, however - I've had emitters which have failed to remove themselves when the main vehicle was destroyed.

LegendaryAgent

Post by LegendaryAgent » Wed 26 Oct , 2011 4:13 am

Azarael wrote:I meant the general method is the same - spawning them at a location relative to the vehicle, which is easy enough, and then using SetBase or similar to attach them to the vehicle. There may be some issues with this method, however - I've had emitters which have failed to remove themselves when the main vehicle was destroyed.
Ah you beat me to the post, yes indeed it semms setbase works lol, as for emitters to fail to remove, for me np i just destroy them at the destroy event of the actor.

Ok so this threead is solved both questions are answeared, thanks for your help as usual azarael.

For anyone else having the same questions (if ever lol):

To make a pure blank texture, you need to make a tga file with an alpha channel, make sure u manually make the channel yourself or else it wont work, after its done save it in 32bits mode, if u save it in 24bits mode the transparency will not be saved (at least thats what ive read in a ued tutorial), compress with with a good compression tool to dxt3 for example.
Now import it into ued, tick the alpha channel option and your texture will be transparent, if you dont have or want to compress the texture with an external tool then simply compress it in the unreal editor by alt clicking the texture and select compression option.

As for the emitter, it trully is setbase, example:

Code: Select all

Simulated Function PostBeginPlay()
{
local XEmitter Xe;
Xe=Spawn(class'PackageName.EmitterClassName',self,,self.Location);
Xe.SetBase(self);
}
Make sure to replace the "PackageName.EmiterClassName" with a valid package and class.
and that should pretty much do it.